Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I Buy A Discovery?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 04:41 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Buy A Discovery?

I know this is probably a pretty biased place to ask, But I am looking at buying a '98 Discovery. It would be my first Land Rover, I have owned Jeeps until now, ('96 Cherokee in the driveway)

Can anybodoy give me the lowdown? Should I buy it?

'98 with 132000 km (83000 miles) asking price is $7500 Canadian (about $6300 US)

I haven't seen it yet, it's near my dad's house, but says all looks good.

Please tell me all about being a Discovery owner!

Thanks,
Andy

Old 11-15-2005, 08:49 PM
4wd Low
Default RE: Should I Buy A Discovery?

If I had the money I'd buy a Defender

Old 11-15-2005, 10:50 PM
Overlanding

do it i just bought one and im happy as a kid on xmas

Old 11-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Winching

Land Rovers are luxury SUV's. They cost a lot to buy and maintain. Nothing like a Jeep. If you are OK with this then go for it.

Old 11-16-2005, 01:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

looks like a pretty good deal to me.

Old 11-17-2005, 02:35 AM
Drifting

I would say that depends on your skills and wallet. If you have reasonable mechanical ability and some commeon sense, then they are great trucks. There are several things about them that can cost you a ton to fix if you have to take them to a dealer each time as they rape you plain and simple ( things like check engines for dirty o2 sensors or times when the check engine comes one due to brief periods where sensors are out of range, or possible issues with the on board security systems). If you can read a repair manual and research problems on help forums on the internet and are able to do moderate work at home then they are great. If that is not the case and/or you are the kind of person to just run a vehicle and never do maint, then they are not for you. That being said, they will put jeeps to shame on the 4-wheeling and in the snow. They look like a normal suv on the outside, but underneath they are mongo wheelers and will ride so much better and be capable of going over much worse obstacles. They are build as off road machines that drive well on the road not the other way around. There are no leaf springs in them and they have locking diffs when you want them to. The drive train is build like a tank. When you test drive it, take it over some rough terrain and see for yourself the vert travel of the wheels. Will they do so a quarter mile in 13 sec - no. Will you be pulling jeeps out of the mud - yes.

Old 11-22-2005, 06:22 PM
Rock Crawling

btw if anyones gonnna get a disco 2, get it white, it looks sooo dam cooool

Old 11-23-2005, 12:46 PM
Overlanding

Like everyone else has said, a Disco is like a supermodel. However, it will beat a Heep any day. I look forward to this upcoming winter to pull Heeps out. I do it when I am wheeling too. Make sure this one that you are looking at has some or all records. You can contact a dealer with the VIN and they can also tell you what has been done to it, if it has been serviced at the dealer. I bought my '96 Series I SD for the same price, and had it for a year with no issues. Granted I did have to sink about $1k in it last summer, but FWIW it was wear and tear items. Get the factory manual and hook up with an independent mechanic if you cannot diy. Also, make sure the t-case is not sticking, for it will take about 3 cans of break free to loosen it up... Had the same problem, because the orig. owner was a soccer mom who did not know what 4 low was or a locking diff...

Old 01-09-2006, 01:10 AM
Rock Crawling

The discovery is a great vehicle I know Because I own one a 1996 and my mom has a 2000. They will be your best friend as long a you take care of them oil change,brake fluid,trans fluid ,tune up at mile intrevals plus it helps a lot to know about the vehicle and how they operate. Rover parts can be expensive however if the Discovery is treated right you wont make many stops at the car shop. Also the discovery is heavy duty and will beat any jeep and 4x4 out there that's my feeling. The discovery is know for being a great very sturdy and realiable vehicle as with any car if you just run the truck and not have the proper things done then yes she will be very expensive. Where I live SF Bay Area I see discoveries all the time and I've never had a problem with mine just stay on top of things and she will do great and last years. Note The Discovery is a heavy duty Off road vehicle made to behave on road with others so should you buy a discovery HELL YES!

Old 01-09-2006, 10:45 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fuel mileage is not good on the Land Rovers .
Mine is around 11-12 mpg in town and 15-16 mpg hwy.
So if you can live with that and have looked over the other posts,
you will like it.

Quick Reply: Should I Buy A Discovery?