Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side seals on a front windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 09:46 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Side seals on a front windshield?

I recently had my windshield replaced via insurance. They replaced it with an aftermarket windshield that seems to be thicker and now it seems the thicker glass is causing a lot of noise because of the gap on the sides are thinner. My question is that is there supposed to be rubber side seals (I have the vertical black plastic covers) on the ends of a windshield? The auto glass kid said they were supposed to be there.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I assume your talking about your Disco 2 ? then if you are............there is NO rubber seals on the windscreen at all........It's a "bonded" screen. The ONLY rubber should be the top "finisher" strip which basically fairs the window to the roof, and small rubber seals that are part of the "A" post trim fininishers that sit against the glass when they are on.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:37 PM
TReK

Yes DII, So you are saying that if you look at the sides of your windscreen under the black plastic trim strips there is just a gap then the glass, no weather strip or foam or anything for noise reduction?

Hmm, mine is noisy as hell then, I've ignored it as I've had other fish to fry but now that is taken care of. Maybe I need to call and complain to the insurance company (or just put a brick through the window).

Old 07-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes thats right, the glass ends and then theres a gap and then the A pillar. Theres no need for anything to be in there really as the trim finishers on the A pillars cover it all up and direct the wind flow around the car.

Check the top finisher is fitted correctly. it should have been clipped to the screen as it was fitted so it sits behind to the top of the windscreen and is held in place, if its not right or they guys doing it, moved it whilst lifting the screen into place, then its possible thats causing the excessive wind noise.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:31 AM
TReK

OK thanks for the info.