Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ski rack for 2004 Dico

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ski rack for 2004 Dico

Hello all and greeting from a very stormy Seattle. This wild fall weather has me thinking of ski season. I was looking for a ski rack for my 2004 Disco. I don't want one on the roof since I already have a lift and larger tires making parking garages a challange. I don't want one of those trailer hitch jobbers. I was looking at the spare tire. What a great place to mount a ski rack.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a ski rack that mounts to the spare tire carrier of the '04 disco?

Thanks so much,

Curt

Old 10-18-2007, 09:07 PM
Mudding
Default RE: ski rack for 2004 Dico

Hey if you don't mind I'd like to piggy-back on your thread and ask where can I get the "optional" crossbars for the stock rack on my 03'? I'm also thinking about ski season and I need those crossbars to clamp my ski racks onto.

I'm guessing you've already checked with Thule and your neighbors at Yakima?

Old 10-19-2007, 06:23 AM
Three Wheeling

NWDiscoRover2004- Thule has a rack you can mount on the spare tire, it's a bike rack but then has an attachment that you can add to carry skis and snowboards. I know someone who put one on their Jeep and it worked very well. I'm jealous you guys look to be skiing sooner than us, supposed to be in the 70's today (CT). Swing down to REI and ask them about it, they should have one in stock they can show you.

Fonzie - I'm picking up the Thule crossbars for my '03 SE7 this weekend (20% off sale at all EMS locations). The 450-feet will mount onto your roof rails and then you pick up the load bars after that, I'm debating between the 50 and 58 inch bars. I had over sized bars on my Cherokee and worked out great for carrying 2 bikes a roof top pod and some other gear, so just need to see how they'll work. When I priced it out on line the Thule crossbars and feet would run me $204 before tax, take 20% off and you're looking at $160 is you're anywhere near an EMS.

I guess it all depends on what you'll be carrying, given I've got the biggest truck, I need to carry mopst of the gear and people so I can load 6-8 pairs of skis in my pod then I have another set of exposed racks that'll carry 4 sets of skis or 4 snowboards.

Good Luck

Old 10-19-2007, 08:25 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Living here in Denver, I see a number of vehicles running with ski's off the back of their trucks. I am not sure what brand they are and if they are mounted on the spare or from the trailer hitch, sorry.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: 99XJ

NWDiscoRover2004- Thule has a rack you can mount on the spare tire, it's a bike rack but then has an attachment that you can add to carry skis and snowboards. I know someone who put one on their Jeep and it worked very well. I'm jealous you guys look to be skiing sooner than us, supposed to be in the 70's today (CT). Swing down to REI and ask them about it, they should have one in stock they can show you.

Fonzie - I'm picking up the Thule crossbars for my '03 SE7 this weekend (20% off sale at all EMS locations). The 450-feet will mount onto your roof rails and then you pick up the load bars after that, I'm debating between the 50 and 58 inch bars. I had over sized bars on my Cherokee and worked out great for carrying 2 bikes a roof top pod and some other gear, so just need to see how they'll work. When I priced it out on line the Thule crossbars and feet would run me $204 before tax, take 20% off and you're looking at $160 is you're anywhere near an EMS.

I guess it all depends on what you'll be carrying, given I've got the biggest truck, I need to carry mopst of the gear and people so I can load 6-8 pairs of skis in my pod then I have another set of exposed racks that'll carry 4 sets of skis or 4 snowboards.

Good Luck
Thanks XJ,

I don't think we have EMS out here, I've never heard of them anyway. Maybe I could order from them online...what's thier full name? I'll check out those Thules, but I'm more interested in picking up a set of the original LR items, providing the price is not totally silly.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Three Wheeling

www.ems.com Eastern Mountain Sports they are the equivalent of REI just east coast based. If you do a rack search at thule.com to find the specific rack parts first, then it's easy enough to plug in on the EMS website. Their 20% sale extends through the 21st

I'm planning on using this one because I can transfer it between my Disco and the wife's Outback, my brother in law uses the same system on his Allroad and loves it.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:34 PM
Drifting

I have a Yakima KingPin 5 with the HitchSki add-on. Works like a charm!

Old 11-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Drifting

Fonzie/99XJ,

I have an 03 disco and was wondering if you have purchased (and what you purchased)and installed the racks on your trucks yet? I want mine for skiing as well and also are there any clearance issues?

Old 11-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Mudding

I ended up buying the genuine Land Rover cross-bars for $211 from my local dealer: http://landrover.niello.com/accessor...mp;category=55

The bars are very sleek andlow profile (eliptical cross section) and were designed by LR for the Disco...nice, clean factory look, and they simply snap-clamp to the existing roof rails.They should have been standard equipment on a luxury suv in my opinion.

I have Thule ski racks that are set up to clamp to this type cross-barprofile, as I had them on my Grand Cherokee.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Three Wheeling

I picked up the Thule 450 feet and 50 inbch crossbars (totalled about $165). I like them because they are so easy to put on and take off, I'll be able to mount them only when I need them and can transfer them to my wife's car. I'll use them for transporting ski's, canoes and kayaks but won't be using for bikes. I think the hitch mount is best for bikes on these rigs otherwise you're looking at close to a 10 foot vehicle height.

Quick Reply: ski rack for 2004 Dico