Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ski's and a Gear Box?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 01:55 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ski's and a Gear Box?

Just bought a 2003 Se, and I was wondering if there is any way to get a gear box and ski carrier on this land rover. I looked on thule's website and it appears that it is a one or the other situation. I was just wondering if anyone has found a combo that works. Also I need cross bars that mount to the roof rack rails that are already on my LR. I would greatly appreciate any input.
Zach Wickham

Old 12-22-2006, 02:20 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Ski's and a Gear Box?

Call Atlantic british and order one of their catalogs, they will have lots of info and picture for the ski problem.
1-800-533-2210
As for the gear box, don't plan to put it on the roof, the wind drag could cost you 2 MPG easily from wind resistance.
How big a box are you wanting to get? Go to , https://www.expeditionexchange.com/pelican/
and read up on these cases, may give you something to think about.
Mike

Old 12-23-2006, 12:54 PM
Mudding

I think Pelican boxes are neat and all, but they're definately a chi-chi land rover favorite. I've used and sold various Thule and Yakima cargo boxes since the early 90s. Mike is somewhat correct about gas mileage. It "can" take a dump with the wrong box. If you get the fat, wide, stumpy boxes, you'll definately notice mileage drop. Both Thule and Yakima now make very low profile and slender boxes that can actually fit some shorter skis. They'll make a minimal impact on mileage but storeage is naturally smaller than the big boxes.

I use Thule Super High Foot towers and bars on my D2 with a Thule box. I noticed a slight drop in gas mileage two weeks ago on a 200 mile trip, but it was minimal. I don't drive with the box on unless I need it. It's far more sleek and aero than a bunch of $200 Pelican cases which hold only a fraction of what I can stuff in my Thule box. As for skis, I have mine in a travel bag and just lash them to the rack next to the cargo box. Thule also makes a very nice hitch mounted cargo box which makes a nice alternative. I don't go that route because my dog needs easy access to the rear gate.

Check out Thule. Not as cool as a big Hannibal rack full of Pelican Cases, but you can drop $2000 on that stuff just to look like you're on Safari.

Old 12-23-2006, 02:08 PM
4wd Low

What about for gear baskets? my big problem that I am running into is the fact that I do all sorts of outdoor activities. Kayak, bike, ski, and when I go with four people backpacking I need to pack stuff on the roof. So I am just looking for the most affordable way to work all of those activities in on the land rover. I appreciate your guys helpful information.

Old 12-23-2006, 05:00 PM
Mudding

Baskets will always be the most efficient for big gear. I'm in the same position you're in. I ski, backpack, and tote bikes on my roof almost every weekend. I went with the Thule set up as it's something I know and I can tweak it with the seasons. I use a box in winter for ski trips and vacatoins. I use a basket in the summer with two bike mounts on either side. I kinda gave up the kayaking lately. Such a hassle.

The land rover specific roof racks are really great for bulky gear, but they don't always make the boat, and bike thing easy. If you tote bikes, look into Thule or Yakima hitch mount units with the wheel clamps. Those are very easy to use.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:26 PM
1st Gear

I use this. Not for off road use though

http://www.stowaway2.com/catalog.aspx?cid=35