Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slabs ecu

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 10:48 AM
TReK
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Slabs ecu

I have been getting an intermittent traction control issue turning left or going over bumps. It is the Front Wheel Speed Sensors.

I lowered the SLABS ECU, cleaned the pins and tested the continuity of the front sensors. Both are good, both Hubs are new, and wiring looks good on visual inspection as well.

I am thinking that the SLABS ECU is malfunctioning, and I am going to source a good one.

Does anyone know if it needs to be programmed for the vehicle or is it plug and play?

Also, i am not getting the three amigos.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Should be 100% pnp. I've installed 03/04 units in both my 99/02 D2's for proper CDL functionality and better TC/ABS/HDC programming. You can find them all day long on Ebay, but make sure you're getting a SLABS Unit dated 03/04 minimum. They can come with stored ABS faults (used ones) but any good shop with a Snap-On OBDII Scanner should be able to clear them or a LR conpatible scanner.

The following users liked this post:
CollieRover (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 10:55 AM
TReK

Thanks Best4x4. I am going to order one up, and have an ABS Amigo so that shouldn't be a problem.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Stupid question here, but does it happen on first startup or after driving for a while..

I have seen wheel speed sensors short open when hot...

Old 08-04-2016, 11:10 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Stupid question here, but does it happen on first startup or after driving for a while..

I have seen wheel speed sensors short open when hot...
Both. It happens at 5-10mph then goes away, and then it comes on over bump at 30mph, and when turning left.

You can feel the front left brakes pumping, and the TC light goes on but does not stay on which is what was happening prior to new hubs. I am not sure how TC works, but I can't see how braking the front left wheel would help. It seems more like what ABS would do.

Also, both sides are identical in terms of the wires are routed, and both axles seemed fine when I did hubs and the axle seals. There is nothing that could obviously interfere with the front left sensor either, and it tests the same as the front right.

The Amigos have been on for years, so I am wondering if the ECU got jumbled during the multitude of issues the ABS system has had, and the use of the Amigo.

The Hub and Sensor are new, upon visual inspection wires are good, and tests ok from the harness at the SLABS ECU. If it is not the ECU, not sure what would be next.

Last edited by CollieRover; 08-04-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:20 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Gotcha, figured I was ask. Throw a Slabs Unit at it and see what happen..

The following users liked this post:
CollieRover (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 11:24 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Gotcha, figured I was ask. Throw a Slabs Unit at it and see what happen..
If this doesn't do it, I am not sure what I would do next.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:32 PM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Should be 100% pnp. I've installed 03/04 units in both my 99/02 D2's for proper CDL functionality and better TC/ABS/HDC programming. You can find them all day long on Ebay, but make sure you're getting a SLABS Unit dated 03/04 minimum. They can come with stored ABS faults (used ones) but any good shop with a Snap-On OBDII Scanner should be able to clear them or a LR conpatible scanner.
I've been looking into this also.
The way I understand it is there can be an issue if you get a SLABS from a vehicle that had rear air bags and the one your putting it has springs and vice versa.
Than it it needs someone with the proper equipment to get in and change the options in the SLABS.
The SLABS you want is part number SRD500070 his is the one used in the 04 Dll's which at that time had a working CDL.
Don't forget the "5" in th part number as there was also a SRD000070 unit.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Yeah if you get one make sure it's off a D2 matching your setup SLS or non SLS. Truly not the end of the world, as it can be enabled/disabled thru any good LR Tool like the Hawkeye.

I grabbed my holy grail SLABS model out of an 03 for 20.00 a year ago. It have every ABS fault in the book on it, but I loved the date code with 09/06!!! Used a friends 8k Snap-On scanner and got all the faults cleared and now my CDL on my 02 Kalahari is exactly like an 04 model.

03/04 dated SLABS should be enabled for CDL Function.

Last edited by Best4x4; 08-04-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
Both. It happens at 5-10mph then goes away, and then it comes on over bump at 30mph, and when turning left.

You can feel the front left brakes pumping, and the TC light goes on but does not stay on which is what was happening prior to new hubs. I am not sure how TC works, but I can't see how braking the front left wheel would help. It seems more like what ABS would do.

Also, both sides are identical in terms of the wires are routed, and both axles seemed fine when I did hubs and the axle seals. There is nothing that could obviously interfere with the front left sensor either, and it tests the same as the front right.

The Amigos have been on for years, so I am wondering if the ECU got jumbled during the multitude of issues the ABS system has had, and the use of the Amigo.

The Hub and Sensor are new, upon visual inspection wires are good, and tests ok from the harness at the SLABS ECU. If it is not the ECU, not sure what would be next.
Just an FYI, but I would check the condition of all 4 of the hubs first before throwing a slabs ECU at this.

When the unit bearing in the hub begins to fail, the hub can articulate and contact the ABS sensor, causing these issues.

Quick Reply: Slabs ecu