Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slabs ecu

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 09:33 PM
TReK
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
Just an FYI, but I would check the condition of all 4 of the hubs first before throwing a slabs ECU at this.

When the unit bearing in the hub begins to fail, the hub can articulate and contact the ABS sensor, causing these issues.
Both front hubs are new.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:38 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Hi CollieRover, I have never known a SLABS to fail completely, yep, they sometimes throw up an odd glitch like most ECU's but rarely fail totally. It is more likely to be an IO related problem as in most cases, sensor etc.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:07 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Hi CollieRover, I have never known a SLABS to fail completely, yep, they sometimes throw up an odd glitch like most ECU's but rarely fail totally. It is more likely to be an IO related problem as in most cases, sensor etc.
What is IO?

Old 08-17-2016, 09:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
What is IO?
Input/ Output.

In this context, the I/O device would be the ABS sensor or sensors in question.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:25 PM
TReK

Input/ Output.

In this context, the I/O device would be the ABS sensor or sensors in question.
The thing is, sensor and hub are new. I tested both front seniors and they are both good. They are routed identically aside from on the front left side I could not get it to seat where it meets the fender. I can't imagine that would do it.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by CollieRover
The thing is, sensor and hub are new. I tested both front seniors and they are both good. They are routed identically aside from on the front left side I could not get it to seat where it meets the fender. I can't imagine that would do it.
Hi CollieRover, if the reluctor rings are clogged up with crud it will give a false signal and also the spray the sensor connector pins to the with electrical cleaner/lubricant spray. Remove all the sensors in turn, spray the reluctor rings very liberally with WD40 or similar whilst rotating the wheels in each case then wait awhile for it to act then use a very powerful airline to blow the crud off of the reluctor rings via the sensor holes. Replacing the sensors won't necessarily help if the reluctor rings are clogged up with grease and crud. Good luck

http://images.google.fr/imgres?imgur...KgCFcQ9QEIJzAA

http://images.google.fr/imgres?imgur...KgCFcQ9QEIKTAB

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 08-18-2016 at 05:06 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:03 AM
TReK

Offroad I really appreciate the thought, but the Front Hub and Sensor are new, clean and installed identical to the front right.

I am going to go through the electrical testing procedure on Atlantic British to see if maybe a bad ground or something else is causing it electrically.

Since it is happening when I turn, and over bumps, is it possible that a ball joint on the left front side is bad and causing vibration? Or resistance?

Old 08-18-2016, 08:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Collie, this will be a pain in the ***, but try the following troubleshooting steps, in this order:

Swap the sensors from one side to the other, making sure to inspect the sensors for witness marks from the reluctor ring.

If the fault follows the sensor (meaning the right side now has the fault), then you have a bad sensor.

If the fault does not follow the sensor (meaning the left side continues to have the fault), then next swap the hubs from side to side.

Yes, this swapping of the hubs is the pain in the *** part. ಠ_ಠ

If the fault remains on the left side, then you should begin to look at the wiring to the SLABS ECU, or the SLABS ECU itself.

If the fault follows the wheel hub, then you received a bad hub and should see about a warranty replacement.

Good luck.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:48 AM

Collie, this will be a pain in the ***, but try the following troubleshooting steps, in this order:

Swap the sensors from one side to the other, making sure to inspect the sensors for witness marks from the reluctor ring.

If the fault follows the sensor (meaning the right side now has the fault), then you have a bad sensor.

If the fault does not follow the sensor (meaning the left side continues to have the fault), then next swap the hubs from side to side.

Yes, this swapping of the hubs is the pain in the *** part. ಠ_ಠ

If the fault remains on the left side, then you should begin to look at the wiring to the SLABS ECU, or the SLABS ECU itself.

If the fault follows the wheel hub, then you received a bad hub and should see about a warranty replacement.

Good luck.
A bit of a PITA Racer X but a good idea it will at least eliminate the potential sensor issues. Problem is that the WABCO ABS system is very sensitive (also used on the Hummer, Merc and BMW) and prone to faults from the modulator right through to the sensors. It may also be a wiring fault as you rightly say. It may be worth checking the battery condition, the earthing grounds particularly those around the modulator and the sensors. Unfortunately also it only now leaves a slow and painful process of checking and elimination to discover the root fault causes.

Collie Rover, I like your collie dog

The following users liked this post:
CollieRover (08-21-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 01:05 PM
TReK

There is no way for me to swap the hubs for quite some time. Add to it we are having a kid in early September I don't know when I will really get around to it.

Quick Reply: Slabs ecu