Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slight coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 11:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Slight coolant leak

Hey guys, Ive hit my first issue to tackle on the 2004 Disco. Seems I have a slight coolant leak at the rear of the engine. You. Can see it in the center of this picture. I let the Disco sit for around 5 days and when I moved it I noticed the leak on the ground. Small puddle that seems to be in the middle or slight passenger side but definitely near the back of the engine bay. I have an UG and the truck has been running within common temp parameters. The only thing I notice is that I am getting a smell of coolant through the air vents after about 5 mins while running the heater. Heater gets plenty hot.

Any suggestions as to what I need to be looking for? Going to start looking at it today. Thanks!

Last edited by Daytoman; 02-10-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

There is a design flaw in the heads. This can be a common problem. The fix is new head gaskets.

The following users liked this post:
Daytoman (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 12:05 PM
Pro Wrench

It could also be the heater core hoses, or something with the plastic lines that run to the bottle and the throttle body heater.

The following users liked this post:
Daytoman (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 12:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 72 Posts

Did a quick check around the throttle body heater and heater core hoses, all dry. Coolant had dropped about 1/2” since I topped off to the fill arrow line about 300 miles ago. Checked oil and it looks really good, not milky at all but it was a splash low....same as the last time I checked it after 300 miles. No more coolant leak on the ground since Ive moved it a few days ago. Valve covers are obviously leaking and it looks like just oil. Plenty of oil around the back side of the engine. I will crawl underneath after a bit and look around. Will also check for air at the bleeder cap.

I want to track it down if I can to stop or slow it. I plan on complete coolant system upgrade and new engine this Summer. Got to make it down the road till then.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:59 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Pull the plugs at cylinders 7 and 8 and see if there is coolant in the chamber. If not, you may have some time if it is leaking at the heads, but it could also be the lower intake gasket at the rear of the engine.

Autozone rents a coolant pressure tester. You can hook that up and look for the leak without burning yourself.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:58 PM
Pro Wrench

I tend to find leaks at the back side if the heads. Crawl underneath and look at the head gasket area where the transmission mounts. Could be anywhere though.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:13 AM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Yea I'd second what shanechevelle said. I'd wait for it to cool and stick my hand behind the passenger head, if you pull back a wet gooey mess its the HGs.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,461 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Your oil is leaking because of a plugged oil breather baggle, do the pcv mod and it will stop. It could be an intake coolant leak, but more likely hg as that is common. You can run it with the overflow bottle cap loosened 1/2 to 1 turn, just enough so the system will not build pressure, that will slow down your leak considerably.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:33 PM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I must be the only person who just cleaned and replaced the breather instead of doing the PCV mod.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

I don't call it a mod I call it an upgrade. OEM plastic baffle isn't all that great, and it will normally break into bits if you try to take it out to clean it. Other side of that hose = the plastic 1/4 Thread nipple and once again they can snap clean off. Installing the FV308 eliminates two well known weak spots. It's not a mod as much as an improved setup. If you ever have to clean the FV308 you simply just un-thread it, spray it with some carb cleaner and re-install.

I've found the FV308 isn't usually stocked at a lot of auto part stores and I know why = no need to replace them usually as you just clean it and re-install it. Nothing really breaks on them (gotta love Honda's). However you can get them very cheap off of Ebay.

Quick Reply: Slight coolant leak