Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slight coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 07:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

Yep.

Pull out the plastic corkscrew looking thing outta the valve cover and replace the plastic nipple on the intake manifold with the FV308 dealio and yer all set

Old 01-14-2019, 07:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytoman
FWIW guys, I have not seen any coolant on the floor since I posted this. Weird that it was after it had set for about 5 days during our vacation. But Ive put another 300 miles on it. Still runs the same temps, still get a coolant smell from the vents but I only get a very, very slight hint of coolant smell when I open the hood. I haven’t felt behind the heads yet, but I’ll get to that this weekend. I’m going to keep looking as it obviously came from somewhere!

Well, I spoke too soon. I topped the reservoir off and it was about a half inch low. Strangely my oil level hadn’t moved. But the leak is back on the ground. Leaked while cold over the weekend. I haven’t driven it for about 4 days. I’m hoping its not coming from the intake gasket but I cant find anything else obvious yet. coolant leak is hitting the floor right where the white cloth is.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

Climb under there with a flashlight and see what you can see

The following users liked this post:
Motorhead1 (02-04-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 08:57 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Based on that pic, are you sure it is not the Throttle body heater? Looks kind of forward for the HG, but this diagnosis is from a pic on the internet.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:14 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Extinct
Your oil is leaking because of a plugged oil breather baggle, do the pcv mod and it will stop. It could be an intake coolant leak, but more likely hg as that is common. You can run it with the overflow bottle cap loosened 1/2 to 1 turn, just enough so the system will not build pressure, that will slow down your leak considerably.
I did this mod and it did help slow the oil leaks.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:22 PM
Rock Crawling

I took some time away from working on the 03 and crawled back under my 04 to look at this leak a bit better. I don’t think it’s coming from the HGs. Heater still blows very hot but the engine temps are getting erratic. I think it’s the water pump or front cover leak. It’s leaking worse now and continues to leak while parked. I put over half a quart of coolant into the bleed hole and the coolant was 3/4 of an inch low in the reservoir. Here’s some pics of the place I THINK it’s leaking and some pics of were it’s dripping from the pan and front axle. It’s wet and has green buildup. I had wiped it some before I took the pic.

Last edited by Daytoman; 02-03-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:28 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by CollieRover
Based on that pic, are you sure it is not the Throttle body heater? Looks kind of forward for the HG, but this diagnosis is from a pic on the internet.
Definitely not the TBH.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

Honestly, there is only a few places where the coolant system can leak. Check the RAVE diagrams.

i am wondering if your misfire and coolant leak is related

Old 02-03-2019, 09:59 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
Honestly, there is only a few places where the coolant system can leak. Check the RAVE diagrams.

i am wondering if your misfire and coolant leak is related
Thanks buddy, however I’ve got two D2s..an 03 & 04. The 03 has the misfire but runs cool and it’s in another thread. It does have a very slight leak that might be a hose. I’m working on it. Misfires are #1 priority on that one.

This 04 just has the coolant leak. It throws no codes and runs good....just runs a little hot.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytoman

Thanks buddy, however I’ve got two D2s..an 03 & 04. The 03 has the misfire but runs cool and it’s in another thread. It does have a very slight leak that might be a hose. I’m working on it. Misfires are #1 priority on that one.

This 04 just has the coolant leak. It throws no codes and runs good....just runs a little hot.
Ah, sorry for the mistake. I got you PM.

i am on my mobile and do not have the link to the RAVE handy.

can someone post the RAVE link please?

Quick Reply: Slight coolant leak