Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoking Exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 11:10 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking Exhaust...

My 96 Disco 1 got a little warm today. I filled up the expansion tank - which was low and probably the culprit - and then ran the engine a while. I noticed then for the first time since I've owned this truck a bit of white smoke coming from the exhaust. I've owned several cars that smoke and it's no problem but since this truck never has thrown ANYTHING from the tail pipe, now that I see something it makes me wonder.

So, just tell me I'm over-reacting we'll delete this thread and we will all get along just fine! Thanks

Old 09-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Smoking Exhaust...

White smoke on any engine is a sign your head gaskets are gone, your engine most likely got too hot. Don't let this go to long, also make sure you are not getting coolant in the oil.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

you aren't over reacting. Not saying your motor is toast, but these things don't like to get hot. I would keep checking you coolant level. Might even pull you plugs to see if one looks like it has been steam cleaned. If you aren't hearing any knocks, you may be ok with the exception of a head gasket. The ports on the heads are thin, and with the original gaskets, they can get sucked over relatively easy.

Keep you eye on i and don't let it get hot anymore. You may want to make sure your system is bled. If you have air in it, it will struggle to stay cool. If you have never had the bleed screw out, you may want to get a new one before you start.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Here is where I differ.
Once you start burning coolant, you are one step away from an overheat and dropping a cylinder sleeve, then you will need an engine.
Have it verified and get them changed before you get into repairs that will be in excess of twice what the truck is worth.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree, definately have the system pressure tested to rule out head gasket. Running it withwater entering the block is never a good idea. For the cost of a coolant system inspection it's not worththe risk of loosing the motor. imo.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:00 AM
Three Wheeling

Head Gasket??!!!! Well thanks ALOT guys! You sure were a BIG help!!! Oh! And by the way... you're all ugly! THERE!!!![:'(]

Old 09-20-2007, 09:10 AM
Three Wheeling

Shew! Sorry for the outbreak.

Well, I filled up the fluid level in the expansion tank and drove it for about 40 min yesterday in 80ish degree weather. The needle was a micron off from where it normally sits. But other than that it ran cool!

The engine has gotton to the red line twice since I've owned it. Once cause the rad was bad and once cause I forgot to put the cap back on the xpansion tank before a trip. In both cases I made repairs, filled the system and everything has worked fine.

Maybe a 3 weeks ago I noticed the slightest puddle of fluid sitting on the thermostat housing. I can't tell whether it's coming from the hose or the housing. In either case the amount of fluid was pretty scanty. This is the only possible place where I may be loosing fluid. I guess I could be loosing it into my engine, but the amount of white smoke was comparable to one guy toking a ciggarette and even that may be a stretch. I want to imagine that if it was a gasket failure I would see plenty of smoke and even feel the engine run rough. I hope I'm right...

We've all discussed the issue of flowing water from underneath the front dash and glove box. More accurately I should say the sound of flowing water. But what is the quickest fix for this annoyance...?

Old 09-20-2007, 09:47 AM
Three Wheeling

tads,
just and FYI, I've got an '03 SE7, and have a minor leak in the head gasket, no smoke . . . ever.

I'd still get it checked out just to be on the safe side if I were you. I'll be changing mine out in short order.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Administrator

The noise you are hearing is because you have not bled the air from your coolant system so you hear it thru the heater core.
Have air trapped in the coolant system because it has not been bled out, will cause hot spots inside the engine a take your head gaskets out.
So even if your coolant bottle looks full, you are low on coolant.
I will be out on the trails today, if you want to call me tomorrow, I'll be glad to walk you thru bleeding your system an what your options are.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just to put this out there, I agree with Mike. I didn't mean you would be ok if you are losing coolant into a cylinder. If a plug looks steam cleaned, change the head gasket. If you are losing coolant, have the system pressure tested and find out where. Have it fixed sooner than later.

The swooshing sound means you need to bleed your system, like I said up top. I would still suggest getting another bleed screw and o-ring