Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So close! Connecting rod bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple of pictures

Thought I'd share a couple of pictures as well.

First - the bottom end of the engine back together. Note that I didn't have to do any cleaning or sludge removal here. The engine is really nice and clean inside!

Second - the oil pan. This was after cleaning out some sludge off the very bottom, but the rest of it was as clean as what you see here.

Third - just another pic of the bottom end.

Attached Thumbnails So close! Connecting rod bearing replacement-imag0184.jpg   So close! Connecting rod bearing replacement-imag0188.jpg   So close! Connecting rod bearing replacement-imag0187.jpg  
Old 10-31-2012, 08:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How hard was this per se? Could it be done in a day in a driveway? I just bought an 04 D2 with 130k miles, but the engine was partially rebuilt last year due to a slipped liner. The main and rod bearings were replaced, but I'm getting similar symptoms that you had except that it doesn't do it at all if not under load (cold or hot). I took the cats off thinking it may be them. It helped but wasn't it. They were clogged severly though. It is a hollow (not metallic) knock sound under load when cold and very faint up to around 2k rpm when warm. Anything over that rpm I can't tell if it's there or not. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks for this write up!

Old 10-31-2012, 01:49 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MC04DII - It wasn't that difficult. I'd budget two days in your driveway on your back. I had the benefit of a lift and every tool I could ever need, and the entire job took me and a friend about 7 hours for the rod bearings only. That included thoroughly cleaning the oil pan.

The most difficult part of the job IMHO is some of the sump bolts, particularly those that connect the end of the sump to the transmission bellhousing. It was tough enough getting to those with the truck on a lift - I'd hate to do those on the ground.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, I may put that on hold until I'm absolutely sure that's it. I've used a stethoscope and I think it may be coming from the torque converter. I pulled the inspection plate today, but couldn't see any obviously loose bolts. I will have to investigate more later. These things are a true love/hate vehicle. Ha