Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So here goes the search for a fix.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 09:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So here goes the search for a fix.

2000 D2....Knowing that a coolant leak from the starter housing is impossible, I will try and tighten up all the bolts over it to hopefully find loose ones that could explain a leak.

So I've often read about some of you fixing a leak by thightening the intake manifold bolts.

How many bolts can you actually reach with the manifold on ??? Im see the 4 on the top and that's basically it.

If I decide to tighten the head bolts, I guess I have to do this when the engine is as cold as possible ??? right ???

I've check the throttle body heater plate and no leak there. And the leak is on the pass. side. So I'll check again later.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:52 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

That is an ill-advised way to fix a leak cause then your bolts will not be torqued right and in the correct sequence.
If you have a leak, send me your number and I'll call and try and help you.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle

All right, spent the last 2 hours in the garage and am flabergasted to say the less...

It all started at work, where I saw coming back to my truck that there was no puddle underneath. So I thought to myself that whatever I played with yesterday must have worked. Get home at 2pm and decide to go for a nap since today is my leg workout day and I need all the energy I can gather. As I go outside to go get my youngest daughter at school, there was a puddle the size of a basketball on the ground, so you guess that I was freakin pissed!!! But thought to myself, if it went from a few drop to that large a puddle, it must be a hose or something like that, so I'll postpone the workout for after dinner and get right on it.

Soooooo, I found that the pass. side headgasket is shot at the very rear end after the last head bolt towards the firewall. Checked the bolt for tightness and it is as tight as can be. At one point I stopped trying to tighten it cause I was afraid it would break and then I'd have a whole different problem. I had the head gaskets done exactly 2 years ago and I had ordered the composite ones to assure that leaks wouldn't come back.

So now I'm facing an undriveable truck or almost and a head gasket to change.

Just speechless, Have you ever had that bad taste in your mouth from being disgust ??? I thought that that was just a saying!!! But it actually happens ..................

Last edited by Darover; 10-28-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:43 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Do not tighten your head bolts, they are made to stretch and old stretched ones can easily break and cost you a fortune to get out of your block. If fixing a leaky head gasket was as easy as tightening the bolts then head gasket jobs would not cost $2000. The head is probably warped and needs to be machined Man up download the rave CD and take a weekend or two to fix it. It is not that hard or expensive to DIY.

Last edited by lipadj46; 10-28-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:51 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

So you removed your valve cover and tried to tighten the head bolts?

You said yesterday that the drips were pink which means you have DexCool in your cooling system.
And now 2 years later your head gaskets are leaking once again.
Now will people listen to me when I say NOT TO USE DEXCOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DexCool eats gaskets for lunch, why do you think DII's have so many coolant leak's?
Throttle body heater plate, head gaskets...it is because of DexCool.

I really am sorry, this really really sucks and I feel for you, I really do.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks for the kind words bros, lets just say that I had heck of a workout. It helped get some steam out, but still not sure how I'll handle this.