Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so what brakes (discs and pad) for my 99 DII?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 11:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default so what brakes (discs and pad) for my 99 DII?

So from reading and reading all the info i can find on site i see that crappy pads can cause all kinds of issues including the 3 amigos. My new to me DII has the amigos and who only knows when the last time the brakes were even looked at in the last 149,000 so it seems like a good time to upgrade.

So 2 simple questions. what should i buy and who should i buy them from?

Thanks
Dave

Old 04-21-2010, 06:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 04-21-2010, 07:03 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are on a budget call Will Tillery

Old 04-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i dig EBC or Ferodo. Roverparts.com has sales from time to time.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by d2luvr

Those are going on Angus this weekend!!

Old 04-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Rock Crawling

The stock pads from the dealership work good. They are less expensive then alot of other places. The stock pads do put out alot of brake dust though. I found that sport pads take more pedal force when cold but work very good when hot. Drilled rotors is a good idea. I would stay away from cheap imported rotors.

Willie

Old 04-22-2010, 07:56 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Dave, how good a set of brakes do you want, what sort of driving will you be doing?
Most pads you don't really want cause of the brake dust they make which in your case will cause the 3 Amigos to come on.
Might want to consider a good set of ceramic pads, like the Akebono pads, little to no dust, last a lot longer then most with little rotor wear and will out stop most other pads.
If you want some more info on them, get back to me.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Mike, As with all 2nd vehicle it is going to be a little but of a compromise. about 2 months of the year is will be used by my folks who fly out from the UK to see my wife and I here in Vegas, the other 10 months is it going to be used as a trail rig out here in the great western desert and the long term plan (in 20 months or so) of running the Baja peninsular in it. It may get the odd trip to Moab but even out here we have some really long descents and with a relativity high ratio in the transfer case (I'm used to 4.:1) i think i may be looking for something that can deal with long decent braking cycles.

Does that help?

Thanks

Dave

Old 04-22-2010, 09:54 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The OEM type pads that will tillery sells are great, they are a bit dusty at first until they break in but like any other semi metallic pad will provide great stopping power cold as opposed to ceramics. Last I checked Will was selling pads and rotors for $275 shipped for all 4 tires. The lockheed pads are good too. If you have money to burn get the EBC Greenstuff pads with the dimpled ebc rotors in pimp black.

As far as dust causing the 3 amigos, not sure I buy it. The sensors are electromagnetic and sealed inside the hub. Maybe I can see that break noise can cause the amigos due to the vibrations but I have not experienced that even with very squeeky and dusty pads at the end of their life.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

And what do you think causes the brake noise/squeak, brake dust and lacquered pads.
What we hear as brake squeak, the sensors pick up as a sign wave distortion which the ECU takes as a failing speed sensor.

Quick Reply: so what brakes (discs and pad) for my 99 DII?