Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sold my 98 and bought a 99 Series II, few questions:

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 02:33 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sold my 98 and bought a 99 Series II, few questions:

Picked it up for a good deal, here's my questions:

1.The rear is sagging bad and the REAR HEIGHT CONTROL just flashes, i press the button to make the car raise in the rear but you can just hear the air. Its sagging more on the drivers side rear than passenger, the previous owner even got a new rear airbag and still the problem? What do i most likely need and can I just replace with shocks and coil?

2. The three amigos are on "TC" "HILL DECENT" "ABS", the land rover shop told me before that it can be 2 things. One fairly cheap fix and the other a very expensive fix, how do i check to see what exactly needs to be fixed?

This is a 1999 with 120k miles

Old 05-06-2009, 05:51 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

1-Yes you can switch to coils, the kits run about $300 and will take you a day to install.
Aprils issue of Land Rover World has pics with instructions in it.
But you probabaly just have a air leak, take a spray bottle full of soapy water and with the truck running and all the doors closed spary all around the air bags and fittings.
If its not a air leak then its a bad height sensor.
2-Only the dealer can scan the codes and tell you what is wrong with the ABS.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingDiesel
Picked it up for a good deal, here's my questions:

1.The rear is sagging bad and the REAR HEIGHT CONTROL just flashes, i press the button to make the car raise in the rear but you can just hear the air. Its sagging more on the drivers side rear than passenger, the previous owner even got a new rear airbag and still the problem? What do i most likely need and can I just replace with shocks and coil?

2. The three amigos are on "TC" "HILL DECENT" "ABS", the land rover shop told me before that it can be 2 things. One fairly cheap fix and the other a very expensive fix, how do i check to see what exactly needs to be fixed?

This is a 1999 with 120k miles
If you want some help with the issues, send me your tele number and I'll call you.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:10 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, got the sagging problem fixed, turned out drivers side rear bag was off its mount, but it does work now and everything is back to normal. However, the previous owner disconnected the compressor completely and had an air line kit installed (2) with the air valves on the rear bumper, one being for each bag. So in case the compressor dies out or wont charge, you can just simply go to a gas station and just put are in the bags. Pretty neat setup considering I dont have to rely on the air compressor but my LAND ROVER tech said since that compressor is turned off and disconnected, this might very well be a reason my 3 amigo lights are one and he said he would need to reconfigure the system and hopefully turn the lights off. What does he me "reconfigure the system"? He is going to fool the car in having it believe the compressor is there? Anyway I can do of these reconfiguring?

Old 05-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Do not try to screw around with the ABS, sure you can make the the ABS lights go out, but you won't have ABS, Hill Decent or Traction control, not much of a win win for you.
Also, for what it is worth, there is no compressor on the ABS.
You want to find out how to fix it right, send me your tel number.