Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

some people just dont understand

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default some people just dont understand

So after work today I crawl under my truck to clean out my rear axle breather, its 96F in the shade.
My neighbor takes out his trash and comes over and asks me "what are you doing now"
So I told him.
"you are always working on this thing, does it break down that often?"
"nope, we have never had a break down in the 30,000 miles that we have owned it"
He walks away grumbling.
Keep in mind that they never spend any money on their cars and they are always breaking down.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good one..

Old 06-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
So after work today I crawl under my truck to clean out my rear axle breather, its 96F in the shade.
My neighbor takes out his trash and comes over and asks me "what are you doing now"
So I told him.
"you are always working on this thing, does it break down that often?"
"nope, we have never had a break down in the 30,000 miles that we have owned it"
He walks away grumbling.
Keep in mind that they never spend any money on their cars and they are always breaking down.
"Keep in mind they never spend any monet on their car and they are always breaking down." --Sounds exactly like my in-laws. Wife does not understand either.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand why... well why no one understands. If you put nothing into your car, eventually you'll get nothing in return. Aside from maybe your starter motor clicking and clicking as you sit there frustrated as to why your car won't start.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know, I washed my DI this afternoon when it was 98. I had to pull her in the garage to dry her off so I wouldn't get all the water spots.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't understand why THEY dont understand either.

on the weekends I am always under a rover. Either mine or someone else's im working on. Neighbors drive by in newer cars clunking and clanking (from driving fast on our poorly maintained roads) and from my spot in the drive way i can hear that one has a leaking exhaust, one has a steering pump about to die, another one has tapping valves and one has a serious vaccuum leak so bad that when they are idleing it's almost like they are reving the motor up and down.

i can never decipher what their facial expressions mean when they stare me down as they drive by but i just think to myself, "You all should stop watching me work on rovers and work on your car before it breaks down in front of my house"

THEN YESTERDAY: i received a phone call from an unfamiliar number and it turned out to be a gentleman who was given my # by someone else i did rover work for.... he said he had a rover that wouldnt start and asked me if i could take a look at it.

I ask him what year and model... his reply, "1991 Land Rover Ranger".

I was like, WTF??

So i met up with him and followed him in his 98 cherokee to his house to look at this "Ranger". I had been down this road we took before and it's so badly full of pot holes that i drive slower than the average islanders in their little beaters. He flew up this road like a bat out of hell. I said to myself if this is how he drove his rover no wonder its not starting.

I finally reach at his place and the 1st thing i say is, "When im not on a paved road, I drive slow as possible, fast as necessary." and he was like "Ohhhhhh"

Turned out he has a 91 Range Rover but he put both names together and left out the "over" RangeR

I will never understand how people wait until their car is making a noise or leaking before they do something about it.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I get the same thing from my neighbor. What are you doing NOW? He then proceeds to tell me the same sotry about re-building Jag engines and how they have a 10 quart oil pan because they leak so much. He is astonished I got all of my leaks fixed.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your neighbor sound a mite bit jealous spike, LOL!

Old 06-24-2009, 02:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle

i think i will wash my bus today, it has been a while and i am afraid he may be feeling a little neglected...

Old 06-24-2009, 09:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

My neighbors not jealous, hes just...ignorant.
He is the guy who sets the cruise at 75 and stays in the left lane on the expressway and does not care abolut anybody else on the road, he is the guy who has 4 different kinds of tires with varying degrees of thread depth on his truck and cant figure out why he gets stuck in the driveway in the winter and they wont hold air.
He still has a "abandond vehicle" sticker on his window that he has been trying to scrape off for the last year.
I do little things to my truck here and there, one thing at a time, if it needs something major it gets it today not tommorrow.
I am not of the "if it aint broke dont fix it", I am of the "fix it before it breaks"
I think most Rover nuts are that they though.

Quick Reply: some people just dont understand