Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soon to be a Disco 2 owner.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 03:00 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soon to be a Disco 2 owner.

Hello to all... this is my first post on Land Rover forums. It feels good to say that I will soon be a Land Rover owner. So I finally sold my car and I have everything lined up to buy a 2003 Disco 2 SE White, with 42K Miles. No dents or scratches. Clean inside and out. Motor is spotless. Before I sign the paperwork with my blood, what are some common problems with the Disco II. I've read there expensive to maintain if you take it to the stealership to get work done, they can rob you big bucks on small jobs. I'm very mechanically inclined and can do most work myself or read a repair manual to get the job done. So it seems dealer work is expensive, but at the same time if you have mechanical skills and keep the truck in good shape and take it easy its not as bad. I guess if anyone has any info for me on common problems or anything of that nature it would be great to hear a response. Any info is greatly appreciated
Thanks, SAM

Old 02-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Mudding
Default RE: Soon to be a Disco 2 owner.

welcome, sounds good just check and make sure that the seller has any and all service records. This will help save $$ later

Old 02-08-2006, 04:59 AM
Rock Crawling

Most of the discovery problems were in the Discovery 1 generation problems included , sensors ,lights,with some blown gaskets. actually the Discovery is a very realiable vehicle I know because I own one and it has never left me in trouble. The discovery your looking at buying would probably be one of the best since it was produced a year before the discovery line ended so most problems were solved before 2003 came and also the 2003 discovery has the diff lock. Yes your right land rovers can be expensive if not treated properly but with having some mechanic skills you will save HELLA MONEY. some prob with the Disco 2 is with the sensors and if your discovery has SLS the air spring might be a prob but from what I hear most swap it out and put on regular coils so that's not really a prob. The engines of the Disco2 are range rover engines so they are virtualy bulletproof and very strong and will last a long time with proper care. The trans is very robust and everything that has to deal with the Discovery's drivetrain components is tucked very nicely above the very heavy steel frame. Just like JRDISCO1 said get the records and keep proper care and the discovery will be a charm on this forum there is one guy with a discovery at about 300K that just shows you these trucks last along time.
Welcome to the forum I wish you the very best with your Discovery. ROVER ON.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:57 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assuming you're getting it from a dealership, it should be certified used, and have a warranty, so just get the extended warranty and forget about it for a few years.