Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soon to be part of the (disfunctional) family . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:27 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soon to be part of the (disfunctional) family . . .

Hello all, I am new here so don't beat me . . .

I am looking to purchase a 200_ DII to act as a daily driver and sometimes tow vehicle. I have been researching them for awhile now, and have to compliment you all on the info on these forums . . . thanks.

So, there is a '02 that could be quite a steal - but some opinions. I have seached past posts about these items, and the consesus seems to point that they are minor. I do most of my own wrenching . . .

1. the transmission temp light is on all the time - just a temp switch?

2. M/S & Shift lights blink - I have read it might be either battery, grounds, or maybe the XYZ Shift Switch - still the opinion?

3. Pass Power Window INOP & Rear Door lock actuator - easy fixes

4. Evidence of previous front end damage - Looks pretty well fixed, but is this a no-no?

Again, this could be quite a deal if I use the issue to beat down the price, and they turn out to be minor. Most of the rest of the truck are great, newish paint, great interior, 80k miles, etc.

I am not looking for a showroom queen, it will be a used truck and will work for it's keep - as it should . . .

So, thanks in advance . . .

Old 06-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

1. Could be.

2. Could be lots of things. That's the Disco's way of telling you something is "wrong" with the transmission. MOST of the time it's just a power problem. Cables, Battery, Alternator, etc. The ONLY time I had that problem, it was the crank sensor and nothing else. (I had to throw that in because some people get bent out of shape when I suggest it is the crank sensor.) It also could be the XY switch or any of the solenoids or switch that control the transmission. If it's the XY another symptom could be no gear indicators on the dash.

3. Probably. Not always cheap, but common.

4. These are body on frame construction, so as long as the frame was untouched you shouldn't have tire wear or pulling problems. I personally like un-repaired body damage, then I feel better when I add more dents off road. I used to be fearless in my 96 because it was all banged up. Now I'm a baby in the 03 until I get some armor.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if the PO let all these LITTLE things add up, do you think they did all the proper maintenace at the proper schedules?

Old 06-09-2011, 04:45 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the advice.

DROWSSAP: That is true, I do not know. But, if I can get finished with work soon, I will go over and have another look at it - and the owner should have brought the maint records; it was a trade in and he still had the records.

Again, thanks all . . .

Old 06-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Be sure to ask if the head gaskets were done if you are looking at the records for the truck. If not and it is 80K, add a couple grand on to the list of things you will need to do sooner rather than later.
Also, don't marry the first girl you kiss. With high fuel prices and the way these things suck on fuel, there are many decent deals to be had.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:12 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JBreckeen
....I am looking to purchase a 200_ DII to act as a daily driver and sometimes tow vehicle....
Not trying to discourage you or anything, but why a Disco if you are not planning on off-roading it???

Old 06-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
Not trying to discourage you or anything, but why a Disco if you are not planning on off-roading it???

its called the urban jungle.......
i dont really plan on offroading mine either, i bought it mainly for the snowy months and long trips, but im kinda feeling an itch to try it out offroad.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:01 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dgi 07
its called the urban jungle.......
I guess I couldn't justify the cost vs. benefit of having finicky, premium gas guzzling, full-time 4WD tank of a vehicle if I never took it off the pavement....especially with $4/gal gas.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
I guess I couldn't justify the cost vs. benefit of having finicky, premium gas guzzling, full-time 4WD tank of a vehicle if I never took it off the pavement....especially with $4/gal gas.
All valid points. Please allow me to retort

Finicky - Maybe, but im a tech that works on benz and smart cars. you want finicky, try diagnosing a no start condition on a 2011 e-class with 7 miles. (turning out to be the overhead control panel)

Gas Guzzling - The benz my wife drives already isnt that great on gas (coming from a 07 honda accord and a 96 vw jetta) , Plus we both work in the city and mainly commute using public transport. I have had my truck about 3 months and just clicked 1500 miles

Full time 4WD tank - Cant wait for the next snowstorm..

$4 /gal gas - Gas is gonna keep going up. And you gotta pay to play so suck it up or sell your truck and get a pruis.

Ylo, i mean no disrepect, im just saying that everyone has different reasons for buying their trucks. Just because you cant justify it doesnt mean others cant..

Old 06-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Pro Wrench

oh and ylo, i liked your truck better with the brushguard..lol

to the op....sorry for the hijack.

Last edited by dgi 07; 06-10-2011 at 12:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Soon to be part of the (disfunctional) family . . .