Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plugs- controversial topic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 12:26 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plugs- controversial topic?

I know the topic of spark plugs and brand and style preference is controversial and has been beat to death time and time again. I just got my 2002 Disco II a month ago and have just put new spark plugs in this morning. The truck has 36k miles on it and I figured it was a good idea to change them.I did some searching around for recco's for the Disco II and people are all over the map and it appears it is more of personal preference than anything. I decided to shop around to see what was out there and I stumbled acorss E3 spark plugs. I read about them and there seems to be a lot of marketing hype regarding fuel mileage and hp increases, but I never believe that stuff. For no other reason than the results could have come from a lawn mower, who knows. I thought I would give them a shot.

I spent about 35 minutes installing them this morning. Wow, what an easy job this in in the Disco. I'm used to BMW's and bloodying every knuckle due to the lack of space. It took half the time I was planning. The old plugs looked dark, not real bad except for the passenger side rear cylinder. It was the worst, not sure why, but still not alarming. The new plugs went in and I started it right up. I can't say these plugs are "amazing" or "the power is noticeable", but I can say that just new plugs alone will probably make the same differences I have experienced. The engine runs quieter and the power is more smooth on acceleration. Next time I will probably just buy NGK or Bosch platinum 2's, but I can't recommend against these yet as I have only a few miles on them.

Maybe I will report back in a few weeks after I have put some good mileage on them. Anyone else ever use these in their Disco? By the way, if you read posts on forums about people having issues with plugs and saying "I hated them after I installed them, misfired all the time" you have to remember that most people are "shadetree" mechanics and can easily screw up a simple job as installing spark plugs.

Chris

Old 07-27-2007, 12:31 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spark plugs- controversial topic?

Almost fogot, I'm not sure I would put new Champions back in the car. I've never seen a spark plug with anelectrode (or whatever its called) that small. I can't imagine it produces as much spark as other brands or styles.

Just a thought.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya I mean a spark is a spark. The only real difference in plugs is a bigger spark. Which having good plug wires can provide. Which I guess Magnacor is the best, never used em though. On this forum I guess everyone like the bosch 2's I think and of course the magnacors. I'd keep an eye on that rear passenger cylinder, that was where my head was warped the most and where I had low compression.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Most of the newer spark plugs are using the smaller electrode, which actually puts out a much better spark especially on the Plus 4's and the new Fusion plugs that are made with uridium.
I just removed my Plus 4's, after 65,000 miles and they were still in good shape, supposed to hold up to 100,000 miles and I think they would have but I wanted to up grade to the Fusion, made a nice change.
Mike