Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   SRS light (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/srs-light-50866/)

bballjames 07-02-2012 11:34 AM

SRS light

My SRS light came on a couple days ago. Did a quick search on the forum and found I should check yellow connectors under both driver's and passenger's seats and check seat belts in the front.

I unplugged and replugged in the yellow connectors under both seats. I didn't have any dielectric grease to throw in there, so I will try that later. But connectors looked good and I plugged them back in nice and tight.

Also checked all my fuses and they look good. Is there any fuse in particular that I should double check? ...Since I know sometimes fuses can test good when they are actually blown.

Had my battery replaced less than three weeks ago, so it shouldn't be any kind of low voltage problem.

What am I missing? I know these are the common things to check and I guess it could be something more. Would like to know your opinions about it.

Thanks

jafir 07-02-2012 12:47 PM

You probably need to have someone pull the codes. On my 96 it was the rotary coupler. I gambled that was the issue because me cruise didn't work. Then my horn stopped working. then the SRS light came one.

bballjames 07-02-2012 06:09 PM

Haven't pulled any SRS codes, but it is throwing a generic 1590. I know this is related to the three amigos, but is there any possibility it could be related to the SRS light being on? I reset the code, and it immediately comes back as a pending code and then eventually a logged code.

Bkreutz 07-02-2012 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by bballjames (Post 329412)
Haven't pulled any SRS codes, but it is throwing a generic 1590. I know this is related to the three amigos, but is there any possibility it could be related to the SRS light being on? I reset the code, and it immediately comes back as a pending code and then eventually a logged code.

No, the SRS is pretty much a stand alone system, there's the light, an ECU, the rotary coupler, 2 air bags, 2 seatbelt pretensioners, and the wiring between them. If your SRS light comes on when you turn the key on, goes out when you start it, then comes back on, it's because the system does a circuit and component check and it failed. The most common failure is either the plugs for the pretensioners get corroded and don't make a good connection or the rotary coupler behind the steering wheel (if your cruise, horn, or steering wheel audio controls are having problems as well, that's a good indication of a faulty rotary coupler since those thing go through it as well).

bballjames 07-02-2012 06:51 PM

Thanks for the info. The light does light up on start, go out, and then come back on again. But I have not lost any of the other functions such as horns, cruise, or audio controls. I'll try to get some codes read for it...

bballjames 07-02-2012 06:56 PM

Is this is rotary coupler you are talking about?

Land Range Rover Discovery Genuine OEM Factory Cruise Control Spiral Cassette

jafir 07-02-2012 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by bballjames (Post 329427)

Yep. If it turns out you need one, I'd personally buy a good used one, with a guarantee of some sort... if you can find one... some places or people don't like to sell airbag related parts used. I think I got mine for $35.

mollyhkirk 12-11-2012 11:05 AM

SRS light

I had my passenger seat replaced about 2 months ago and my SRS light has been on ever sense. We had a mechanic put in the seat. How do I get the light to go off?

lr2001silver 12-11-2012 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by mollyhkirk (Post 362504)
I had my passenger seat replaced about 2 months ago and my SRS light has been on ever sense. We had a mechanic put in the seat. How do I get the light to go off?

You need to check that the seat belt pretensioner is plugged in and not corroded first.

Disco Mike 12-11-2012 11:48 AM

Take it back to the mechanic who did the work and have him repair the problem at no expense to you.