Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.

SRS light

Old 07-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SRS light

My SRS light came on a couple days ago. Did a quick search on the forum and found I should check yellow connectors under both driver's and passenger's seats and check seat belts in the front.

I unplugged and replugged in the yellow connectors under both seats. I didn't have any dielectric grease to throw in there, so I will try that later. But connectors looked good and I plugged them back in nice and tight.

Also checked all my fuses and they look good. Is there any fuse in particular that I should double check? ...Since I know sometimes fuses can test good when they are actually blown.

Had my battery replaced less than three weeks ago, so it shouldn't be any kind of low voltage problem.

What am I missing? I know these are the common things to check and I guess it could be something more. Would like to know your opinions about it.

Thanks

Old 07-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 78 Posts

You probably need to have someone pull the codes. On my 96 it was the rotary coupler. I gambled that was the issue because me cruise didn't work. Then my horn stopped working. then the SRS light came one.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:09 PM

Haven't pulled any SRS codes, but it is throwing a generic 1590. I know this is related to the three amigos, but is there any possibility it could be related to the SRS light being on? I reset the code, and it immediately comes back as a pending code and then eventually a logged code.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bballjames View Post
Haven't pulled any SRS codes, but it is throwing a generic 1590. I know this is related to the three amigos, but is there any possibility it could be related to the SRS light being on? I reset the code, and it immediately comes back as a pending code and then eventually a logged code.
No, the SRS is pretty much a stand alone system, there's the light, an ECU, the rotary coupler, 2 air bags, 2 seatbelt pretensioners, and the wiring between them. If your SRS light comes on when you turn the key on, goes out when you start it, then comes back on, it's because the system does a circuit and component check and it failed. The most common failure is either the plugs for the pretensioners get corroded and don't make a good connection or the rotary coupler behind the steering wheel (if your cruise, horn, or steering wheel audio controls are having problems as well, that's a good indication of a faulty rotary coupler since those thing go through it as well).

Old 07-02-2012, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the info. The light does light up on start, go out, and then come back on again. But I have not lost any of the other functions such as horns, cruise, or audio controls. I'll try to get some codes read for it...

Old 07-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Old 07-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by bballjames View Post
Yep. If it turns out you need one, I'd personally buy a good used one, with a guarantee of some sort... if you can find one... some places or people don't like to sell airbag related parts used. I think I got mine for $35.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRS light

I had my passenger seat replaced about 2 months ago and my SRS light has been on ever sense. We had a mechanic put in the seat. How do I get the light to go off?

Old 12-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mollyhkirk View Post
I had my passenger seat replaced about 2 months ago and my SRS light has been on ever sense. We had a mechanic put in the seat. How do I get the light to go off?
You need to check that the seat belt pretensioner is plugged in and not corroded first.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Administrator
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Take it back to the mechanic who did the work and have him repair the problem at no expense to you.