Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Srs and self leveling suspension lights on

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 04:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Srs and self leveling suspension lights on

oo finally got the head gaskets done and all running well but now I have that aggravating bright red srs light on the dash and the yellow or green self leveling suspension on the bottom. There are coils all the way around and it has been programmed for coil springs by the previous owner. Any ideas guys?
jason

Old 02-05-2017, 04:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i guess the self leveling system was not deactivated in the computer. iv not done it to mine yet either and iv had the truck for a year now and iv probably seen the light come on 3 or 4 times.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:25 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by BS50MGSXR
i guess the self leveling system was not deactivated in the computer. iv not done it to mine yet either and iv had the truck for a year now and iv probably seen the light come on 3 or 4 times.
it never did it before now but the srs it was has me worried the most

Old 02-05-2017, 08:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts

I had pretty much every light on the dash come on with mine on the drive home. The SRS came on, but I think it may have been due to cold. Since I had the air suspension programmed out, those lights haven't come on again. The 3 amigos should be sorted with option B getting performed as well as a new wheel speed sensor (I'm lazy and decided to let GBR do it) and the brake light has stayed out as well.

I'd see if you can clear the codes and go from there.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:12 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by longtallsally
I had pretty much every light on the dash come on with mine on the drive home. The SRS came on, but I think it may have been due to cold. Since I had the air suspension programmed out, those lights haven't come on again. The 3 amigos should be sorted with option B getting performed as well as a new wheel speed sensor (I'm lazy and decided to let GBR do it) and the brake light has stayed out as well.

I'd see if you can clear the codes and go from there.
yea i know. Gotta get the time. My Hawkeye is on backorder now so not happy. I am gonna mess with all the connection under the seat in the morning n see if that might get it

Old 02-06-2017, 01:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
yea i know. Gotta get the time. My Hawkeye is on backorder now so not happy. I am gonna mess with all the connection under the seat in the morning n see if that might get it
I don't keep track of what each of the diagnostic tools can do but based on your comment it appears the Hawkeye can read SRS codes.

In my case the code pointed to the driver airbag circuit (I don't recall the specific code) so I got another airbag but it didn't solve the problem.

That set me on the path of looking at a short somewhere else in the driver airbag circuit. I learned that overlay harnesses are available so I headed down that path, but before I ordered the overlay I tested continuity all the way back to the SRS DCU that's under the rear of the console and lo and behold I found a short in the DCU connector itself when testing continuity back to the airbag connector by probing the DCU connector from the rear with the wires/pins still in it. When I removed the wires/pins continuity tested as it should. That meant the short was somehow in the connector itself.

Eureka!

That seemed odd to me because the cavities in the connector are designed to isolate each wire and pin, but I nonetheless unplugged the connector and carefully removed the pins, then cleaned the connector cavities with a pipe cleaner wet with rubbing alcohol and reassembled everything.

That solved the problem but I still get the SRS light from time to time. I've picked up another DCU connector in one of my trips to the local boneyards but I haven't yet installed it because removing the console is a pain, but maybe one spring weekend I'll be motivated to do it. I still don't understand how a short can occur in the connector, but oh well.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:17 PM
Pro Wrench

Well I got it all sorted out. I unplugged the connectors under the front seats and plugged em back in a few times and it fixed itself.....at least for now I hope

Old 02-06-2017, 08:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts

Right on. Free fixes are always the best.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

So...I was bored today and started taking stuff apart

I noticed that I have the wiring for a self leveling switch but, no self leveling button. Am I to assume that my truck is not equipped with this or that the previous owners did the disable and put a blank there?

FYI - I plan on using this blank for an aux input into my GROM iPhone adapter

Old 02-21-2017, 06:46 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
So...I was bored today and started taking stuff apart

I noticed that I have the wiring for a self leveling switch but, no self leveling button. Am I to assume that my truck is not equipped with this or that the previous owners did the disable and put a blank there?

FYI - I plan on using this blank for an aux input into my GROM iPhone adapter
i believe they might have all been wired like that just like the heater windscreen. If you still have the sensors underneath and the air compressor, the previous owner probally swapped em out and just removed it. I unplugged mine since my son loves pressing buttons and I hate seeing that icon pop up know there are coils back there now

Quick Reply: Srs and self leveling suspension lights on