Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Started Truck, no PWR to windows, lights or radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009 | 01:36 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle
Default Started Truck, no PWR to windows, lights or radio

Started my truck and none of the above would work, restarted and everything worked. Any ideas where I should start fixing this before it goes out completely?

Old 04-14-2009 | 04:44 PM
Administrator

On what year and mileage vehicle????????????????????
Could be something as simple as an ignition switch starting to fail.

Old 04-14-2009 | 04:59 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

I have a 2000 with 92k. Well, now it will not start at all but everything else works. No clicking or anything when you try to start up.

Old 04-14-2009 | 06:39 PM
Team Owner

Check and make sure that it is all the way in park.

Old 04-14-2009 | 07:25 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

It is all the way in park, thanks. I tried to jump it off just as a last resort but there was no change as expected. THe check engine light is on when the key is in the start position so I used my OBD II but it said there are no codes. The tow truck driver was an admitted non land rover expert but he suggested that it might be the security system, this however seems unlikely to me because I do not have the remote key fob and have therefor never used the system. SO... Scanned and no codes, the radio and all other power features function but the truck will not start. there is no sign that any power is being routed to the starter or coils (i.e. lights are not dimming when the key is turned and held in the start position). The only thing that I have not tried is disconnecting the battery and reconnecting to see if anything cleared. This was a tactic that I often used on my MB but I know that this is no Benz..

I NEED HELP!!!!!

Old 04-14-2009 | 07:32 PM
Team Owner

You dont need the remote to use the alarm, every time you lock it the alarm sets, weather you use the key or the remote.
So it wont turn over, shift into neutral and then try it.
The shifter cable can get out of adjustment and even though you think it is in park it isint.
Can you remove the key from the ignition?
Very doubtful that it is the alarm, it is either the shift interlock or the ignition switch.
Also check and make sure that the transfer case is in gear and not neutral.

Old 04-14-2009 | 07:43 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Ok, I just went out and tried the shifting to N for the start and still nothing. I need to make a correction from an earlier post, the lights and radio ARE going off when the key is turned to the start position, sorry about that. I am able to get the key in and out, and the shift indicator on the dash does recognize what gear the truck is in. Does this rule out the shifter cable? Where is the ignition switch?

Old 04-14-2009 | 08:06 PM
Team Owner

The ignition switch is what your key goes in on the steering column.
Ok, now it is sounding more like a bad starter.
But I cant say for sure.
I am drawing a blank on what else it might be.
Somebody else will need to chime in.
Loose battery cable at the starter maybe.

Old 04-14-2009 | 08:20 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Ok, how would a loose battery cable account for the power features not working and now they work but the truck will not start. I have a hard time thinking that these issues that appeared within 2 hours of each other are not related. AND wouldn't the code scanner pick up a bad ignition switch? Or did I waste $80? Was I correct about the shift indicator? If the cable is out of whack would it still show the correct gear on the indicator? I am really at a loss here, I need to get this thing going ASAP!!!

Old 04-14-2009 | 08:32 PM
Team Owner

A bad ignition switch with NOT set off any codes.
You only need "x" amount of power to run the lights, stereo, etc. But you need "XX" amount of power to turn the engine over, that is why every thing goes dead when you start the car, all the power is sent to the starter.
So a loose cable can allow enough power to run the stereo but not enough to start the engine.
Try this, put the key in the door, lock and unlock the truck 3 times within 10 seconds, that will reset the alarm.

Quick Reply: Started Truck, no PWR to windows, lights or radio