Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 05:41 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default starter problems

04' Disco. So a week ago had a no start and was thinking it was battery, it wasn't the battery so I tested the solenoid and found it to be bad and I was getting the one click which was my other clue. Keep in mind over the last 2 weeks, sometimes it would start and sometimes it wouldn't, so I was also thinking the solenoid was on it's way out. I replaced the starter with the piggy backing solenoid on it and everything was good for a day. I checked behind the battery where the 2 grounds are connected, battery connections are good as well.

Here is the weird part, when I turn the key over to the first stop (new symptom as of today), all lights will come on, radio, etc. When I go to turn it over to start the engine all lights go off and total darkness. If I try to turn it over again to the first stop, no lights anywhere. If I let it sit for a couple minutes and turn the key to the first stop, dash lights, radio, etc. come on. And once again I then proceed to turn the key all the way to start, total darkness again. This last paragraph sounds to me like a good clue to what the problem is which I don't know but hoping you guys would've experienced this. I think the only things left are the xyz switch which it doesn't sound like that's the problem or possibly the starter relay. HELP!

I have four cars which one I can't drive in the winter as it's a 71' BMW 2002 and my two cars are down. Really........

Old 02-14-2018, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Sounds like weak/bad terminal connections at the battery. All kinds of things happen when the proper voltages aren't going where they're supposed to go.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:09 PM
Mudding

Well they're on there tight, and look to be in good shape where the wire comes into the post clamp.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,188 Likes on 850 Posts

Did you clean/check ground cable at engine, located on passenger side, just below alternator? Sounds like you have a bad ground.

Brian.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

I agree with the other comments.

Classic bad connection.

Is your positive cable loose? Does it tighten or is the hole worn?

Old 02-16-2018, 11:04 AM
Mudding

Ya, dummy me, it was the positive terminal that was loose and I was the one that put the new battery in! I didn't even consider it because I replaced the battery so thinking that wasn't the problem. Part of the issue was I put the felt pads down on the posts first and those kept the clamp from going down far enough to get it tight. All back on the road again and running. Next up are shocks and and gonna take headliner out and have an indy shop put the fabric on.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:27 PM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by hankeester
Ya, dummy me, it was the positive terminal that was loose and I was the one that put the new battery in! I didn't even consider it because I replaced the battery so thinking that wasn't the problem. Part of the issue was I put the felt pads down on the posts first and those kept the clamp from going down far enough to get it tight. All back on the road again and running. Next up are shocks and and gonna take headliner out and have an indy shop put the fabric on.

Put a radiant barrier up while the headliner is out.
About $25 and well worth it.

Old 02-17-2018, 02:03 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,188 Likes on 850 Posts

Don't feel bad about the terminal issue. Had a car towed in once, that wouldn't start after the owner replaced battery. Not much of a mystery. The guy never removed the protective plastic covers from the terminals, before installing battery cable ends. Installed the cable ends right over them.

Yeah, we didn't charge him anything for the repairs. The laughs we got after he left were well worth the labor...lol.

Brian.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:17 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Put a radiant barrier up while the headliner is out.
About $25 and well worth it.
X1 ............ A great idea and well worth the effort, mine works great. Make sure you don't create a ground (earth) at the interior lights though.

Don't be upset about the starter and positive problem, we've all been there at some point.

TIP: Undo the battery clamp bolts and carefully prise open the clamps, reinsert the bolts and using a medium sized socket ensure they are seated right down onto the battery then tighten the clamp bolts. The battery clamps are pure crap and invariably work loose. Also ensure the LT spade connector exciter wire to the starter solenoid is clean then spray it with electrical connection spray.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:58 AM
Mudding

Thanks for all the help and replies on this. @OffroadFrance, I will redo the clamps on the terminals and should probably add on the secure battery piece so the battery does not bounce around, it has went missing.

Quick Reply: starter problems