Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting Issues Possible Body Control Unit??

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 09:52 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear you guys on the CPS but when I get a no start nothing is happening. If the CPS is bad it would still try to crank just not start?? It does not crank period, I get full power at the dash but nothing happens. The problem definately seems electrical.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:25 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hrod
I hear you guys on the CPS but when I get a no start nothing is happening. If the CPS is bad it would still try to crank just not start?? It does not crank period, I get full power at the dash but nothing happens. The problem definately seems electrical.

It's the starter!

Old 06-13-2015, 07:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hrod
Again, 100% classic CPS. Seriously, go read the other 400 threads about it.

EDIT AFTER COFFEE:Hmm. Maybe not CPS?

Last edited by DustyLBottoms; 06-13-2015 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:54 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 284 Likes on 217 Posts

Hrod,

The key info for me is your comment in the first post: "After letting it sit for awhile it cranks right up."

This is a classic CPS failure mode, i.e., summer weather comes along, engine runs hots, CPS fails intermittently when hot, CPS has to cool down before you can crank and start the engine.

Does you starter crank up? I am getting conflicting info from your posts.

If your starter does crank up and the engine can fire up when it is cooled off..... try this:

Let the engine run to normal hot operating temp. Shut it down Try to crank it and see if the engine would fire up. If no, take a bottle of compressed air (those of cleaning computer keyboard).... or spray some cold water into the CPS.... the idwa is too cool it off... try cranking and see if engine would fire up. If it does, this is a confirmation that your CPS needs replacing. I suggest trying this first before you spend $ taking it to Utah to change out a BCU.

If you still think i is a BCU, my suggestion is to order a Nanocom for $400. Find a BCU from a dismantler and ship it to you. You can change it out yourself and use the Nanocom to re-program the settings. Much cheaper this way and you get to learn more about your truck.

Good luck!

Old 06-13-2015, 12:57 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 284 Likes on 217 Posts

P/S. Did you run a voltmeter check on the battery? You mentioned in the 1st post that it would crank. Latter post indicated it would no longer crank. Perhaps battery is dead from successive crank attempt, i.e., just enough to light up the dash, but no more juice to turn to engage the starter soleniod.