Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Startup Electrical "Lag"

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 08:58 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Startup Electrical "Lag"

Occasionally (seems more often lately) some of the console/dash electronics will not immediately activate on startup. The actual startup is smooth, but if I hit the a/c power button, nothing happens, and although the shifter light comes on when in park, the light doesn't change when I shift gears. Usually this will either go away after I turn off the truck and restart once or twice, or else the electronics will kick on after maybe 30 seconds by itself.

Edit: Also, as best I can tell, the electricals reliably turn on when the starter switch is in position 2, it's only when I turn it to position 3/start the engine that the a/c and such don't seem to operate correctly afterwards. I will try and verify if that is really the case though.

Any ideas?

Last edited by jbullard; 07-29-2021 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:16 PM
Drifting

Also maybe worth mentioning - similar issue happens with my windshield wipers, where they sometimes don't work until I turn the vehicle off and back on. I had just assumed that the switch/stalk was going bad based on other posts, but maybe it could be related.

Old 07-29-2021, 01:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

Huh, this is odd, but like all things electrical start with the easy stuff first: make sure your battery and connections are good. Honestly, it sounds like they are seeing as how it starts up strong but it's always worth dropping by the auto parts store and having them do a charging/alternator test for free. The next thing I would check out is testing (or just replacing, seeing as how you are already at the auto parts store for the battery test) is R7, the Auxiliary Circuits relay in the engine compartment fuse box. This relay has to switch on to power just about everything not directly related to the actual running of the truck and supplies power to the interior fuse box. Relays are mechanical, and can wear out. Can't say why there would be no problem when you just turn the ignition to position 2.

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 02:38 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the tips, I will definitely check out that Relay and see what happens. I'd forgotten that relays are mechanical, but that would honestly make sense to me if the relay is "sticking" somehow or not making proper contact when it clicks over. Yeah, not sure either on the last point but like I said, I'll have to verify that is actually the case. I'll follow your advice and see if I can figure it out. Thanks!

Old 07-29-2021, 04:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

To me, it sounds like an ignition switch issue, if you are turning the key to the second position and everything comes on as expected when rotating the key towards dash...but then goes haywire after starting (position 3) and returning/rotating key in the opposite direction, going back to position 2. Seems like worn terminals inside switch and direction of rotation is the issue. Granted, great advice from "greisinb" about the relay and great place to start after checking cables and ground points.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

The ignition switch issue is also a great point. How does your dash/instrument panel behave? If I’m reading the wiring diagram correctly the instrument pack is powered directly through the ignition switch (not through the aux relay). You could pull the aux relay along with the starter relay and “go through the motions” of starting your truck a few times. If your instrument panel stays off it would be an ignition switch issue.

Old 07-31-2021, 01:39 PM
Drifting

Thank you both - I spent some more time last night starting it and observing, and I *think* I figured out what it was. It seems like the key/barrel itself was just not clicking back fully into position 2, but sticking somewhere between 2 & 3. The dash instruments seem to work normally either way, but I think I'll still go through y'all's suggestions just to make sure. My understanding is that all auxiliary electricals are meant to shut down while the motor is actually cranking, and it seems like once nudge it back fully to position 2 everything starts working again. Somewhat underwhelming but hopefully that means I can just spray some lubricant into the keyhole and see if that takes care of it!

Thanks again!!

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (08-01-2021)