Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering box rebuild/re-seal resources

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 11:15 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Steering box rebuild/re-seal resources

My 2003 Disco-II has been leaking power steering fluid for a while. I changed the power steering pump, the o-ring on the high-pressure hose, and another hose a week or so ago. (I had tried, over the course of several weeks, adding a bottle of lucas power steering stop-leak - no luck) The pump had certainly been leaking. Changing the pump helped but did not alleviate the problem. There's clearly fluid leaking from the steering box. The steering isn't functioning out of the ordinary and the system has never been run anywhere close to dry. . . I've never let the fluid in the reservoir get below the minimum level. The box is just leaking, so I'd like to have a go at resealing it. I've got the breakdown of the pump from the rave, and LRdirect was nice enough to supply a diagram with the requisite part numbers, so I know which seal kits to order (see attached), but I haven't been able to find much specific information with respect to the order of the disassembly and reassembly procedures, torque specs (I know there's only a few bolts/nuts), little things to look out for, etc. If anyone has any information or can point me to a resource I've overlooked, i'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
QFW100140.pdf (70.0 KB, 106 views)
Old 03-02-2022, 11:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

will this help

or this one

or maybe this one

Last edited by frostythor; 03-02-2022 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-02-2022, 11:28 AM
Three Wheeling

No . . . these are for the power steering pump. I already changed that. Much of the information I found about resealing the pump suggested they often don't last all that long after being resealed, so I opted to change it. The power steering gear box is what I'm after. It's a much more expensive component, so I'd prefer to avoid buying a new one, and it seems they can usually be reconditioned effectively - especially if it's just the seals that have gone. thanks though

Old 03-02-2022, 11:50 AM
Three Wheeling

these seem promising . . .

Old 03-03-2022, 03:39 AM
Rock Crawling

found this one,

Last edited by frostythor; 03-03-2022 at 03:48 AM.
Old 03-03-2022, 03:49 AM
Rock Crawling
Old 03-03-2022, 02:56 PM
Drifting
Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WarrenZ
My 2003 Disco-II has been leaking power steering fluid for a while. I changed the power steering pump, the o-ring on the high-pressure hose, and another hose a week or so ago. (I had tried, over the course of several weeks, adding a bottle of lucas power steering stop-leak - no luck) The pump had certainly been leaking. Changing the pump helped but did not alleviate the problem. There's clearly fluid leaking from the steering box. The steering isn't functioning out of the ordinary and the system has never been run anywhere close to dry. . . I've never let the fluid in the reservoir get below the minimum level. The box is just leaking, so I'd like to have a go at resealing it. I've got the breakdown of the pump from the rave, and LRdirect was nice enough to supply a diagram with the requisite part numbers, so I know which seal kits to order (see attached), but I haven't been able to find much specific information with respect to the order of the disassembly and reassembly procedures, torque specs (I know there's only a few bolts/nuts), little things to look out for, etc. If anyone has any information or can point me to a resource I've overlooked, i'd appreciate it. Thanks.
I have a leaky steering box in my '04 SE7 and want to pursue rebuilding instead of the costly replacements. Where are you sourcing your rebuild kit from?

Old 03-04-2022, 11:00 AM
Three Wheeling

I'll probably get them from LRDirect. Their genuine seal kits seem reasonably priced, and they sent me the breakout diagram with all the part numbers listed (attached to the first message in this thread). They've been very helpful in the past.

The following users liked this post:
Roont (01-09-2024)
Old 03-04-2022, 11:07 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks frosty. I've seen those ICS videos. I'll have to watch them again to see what useful information I can pull from them. The folks in the video clearly know what they're doing, but the videos aren't really DIY/instructional videos . . . which makes sense given ICS runs a business that charges people to do this.

Old 03-04-2022, 12:57 PM
Rock Crawling

Yes I looked at the first, video by Britannica Restorations Ltd on the Adwest steering box as he made a special mention of the top nut that includes a hydraulic seal these are available, at Bearmack, but when I check if it would fit a D2 box it only says D1 I guess you need to remove the nut off the top of your box and see if it has the nut and seal

Quick Reply: Steering box rebuild/re-seal resources