Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Clunk, Dashboard Humming?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 01:17 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Clunk, Dashboard Humming?

My 2004 Discovery SE with 82K has started making some odd noises in recent weeks. This includes:

- Steering Clunk when turning left and right. Vehicle does not have to be moving asI can replicate the noise when sitting still. Clunk can be felt right through the steering wheel itself? What could this be?

- Last week turned the truck on and there is a humming or faint motor noise emitting from the drivers side Dashboard area? I can put the ignition in the prior to "On" position and the noise can be created then too? Definitelyisn't vibration almost sounds like a miniature fan motor is running? What is this?

Other than that truck is running good. Knock on wood!! Thanks for the help!

Old 05-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Steering Clunk, Dashboard Humming?

ORIGINAL: IanHand

- Last week turned the truck on and there is a humming or faint motor noise emitting from the drivers side Dashboard area? I can put the ignition in the prior to "On" position and the noise can be created then too? Definitelyisn't vibration almost sounds like a miniature fan motor is running? What is this?

I'd like to find out what thatnoise is, too. It sounds like a small fan and is always on.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

ORIGINAL: IanHand

My 2004 Discovery SE with 82K has started making some odd noises in recent weeks. This includes:

- Steering Clunk when turning left and right. Vehicle does not have to be moving as I can replicate the noise when sitting still. Clunk can be felt right through the steering wheel itself? What could this be?

- Last week turned the truck on and there is a humming or faint motor noise emitting from the drivers side Dashboard area? I can put the ignition in the prior to "On" position and the noise can be created then too? Definitely isn't vibration almost sounds like a miniature fan motor is running? What is this?

Other than that truck is running good. Knock on wood!! Thanks for the help!
So, what have you checked so far regarding the steering clunk? Could be something as simple as a loose connection between the steering column and the gear box.
On the other noise, turn off you a/c system, do you still hear the noise?

Old 05-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Rock Crawling

In my case it happens when the AC is off. I can't really hearit when the AC is on oron the highway.

It's always a low speed fan noise at a constast speed regardless of engine RPM. It's barely even audible compared to other car sounds, but it's there.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:48 PM
4wd Low

Haven't known even where to start looking for the Steering clunk. To me it feels like the steering column itself, not something that implicates a BallJoint, Tie Rod, CV Joint etc. Was hoping that there was a common issue for this symptom and I could do some investigation based on that. Nothing is ever easy!

I agree, the noise from the dash is a constant speed, regardless of engine RPM's. I have my Heat/A-C completely off and it still persists?

Old 05-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Do you have secondary air?

Old 05-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Rock Crawling

I do.

It kicks in at startup until the cats are up to temp, then promply shuts off.

SA is much, much louder than the sound we're reporting and on the opposite side of the truck.

Just a thought, and a longshot at that, but could it be flow noise? Any coolant circulating on the driver's side passenger compartment?

Old 05-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Overlanding

My 1997 v8 also has a hum from the drivers side dash - around the fus box area, althoug its a bit hard to tell. Ive had the truck for 6 months; its only every now and then that I hear it. Not sure if it does it all the time or just intermitently.

Cheers

Old 05-08-2008, 08:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Open the hood and then listen for the sound. Is it coming from the ABS modulator?

Old 05-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Rock Crawling

Spike, I think you're on to something.

I popped the hood and it is, indeed, coming from that general area. Without the engine running and the hood raised the sound is less like a fan and more like an electicalhumming... like something vibrating against the fire wall.

I wouldn't say for certain that it's the ABS modulator, though. But it is comming from that general area.

Quick Reply: Steering Clunk, Dashboard Humming?