Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Issues: Creaking & Linkage Centralizing

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 09:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Steering Issues: Creaking & Linkage Centralizing

Hi all,

Thinking about the next repairs on the Disco, I wanted to get some input on the following two steering-related issues:

1. I've noticed lately when parking (particularly parallel parking) that the Disco has been making some creaky sounding noises when turning the wheel. This is *not* the steering pump groaning noise - you can't feel it when turning the steering wheel and it's barely noticeable from inside the cab unless you're listening for it. The noise is present while driving at speed as well, so I am planning to crawl under and hit all of the zerk points that I can find. For the steering column u-joints, it looks like the prescribed solution is WD-40. Has anyone else had kind of a creaking noise with steering? Is there a zerk point on the U-joints in the steering column? Tried searching; came up dry (like my grease fittings maybe?)

2. Since I bought the Disco, my steering wheel has not tracked straight - the wheel is turned to the right about 15 degrees when the vehicle is going straight. This is pretty minor - about equivalent to distance that the minute hand on a clock moves over 2 minutes. I believe this is because the previous owner replaced the drag link and tie rods, but didn't do so with the steering wheel straight. The RAVE contains a procedure for correcting steering linkage centralization, which is broken into two parts: the first adjusts the steering box/drop arm/drag link connections, and the second is simply an adjustment to the drag link clamp bolts. Due to the scope of the previous owner's repair, and the fact that the steering otherwise operates perfectly, I am inclined to skip to the second part of this repair. Does anyone know if the wheels need to be on the ground for this? I assume that you loosen these bolts with the wheels on the ground, move the steering wheel the right amount, and then re-tighten the bolts and it's a job done. Here's the part I'm talking about (pages 711-712 in my workshop manual PDF):

Thanks!

Old 02-17-2020, 10:05 AM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Steering shaft is non serviceable.
Get a remanufactured one from Lucky8
Around $100 and easy install.
A front end alignment can also correct the off centered steering wheel. If the wheel is off after, it was not done correctly. All alignments have the wheel centered, then locked in place with a special tool holding it against the driver seat. Then adjustments to tie-rods and drag links are made.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 820 Likes on 538 Posts

if lifted you may need an adjustable panhard bar to get the wheel back to center

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 12:38 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

IDK, I thought it was a lot easier than all that. When I replaced my tie rod and drag link a few years ago, my wheel was just a bit off. I loosened the #10 clamps and adjusted #11, then locked everything back down. Wheel is now dead center.

The following users liked this post:
boston4 (02-17-2020)