Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering question

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 06:57 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering question

When I got my new tires they told me the track Rod and Drag link assemblies need replacing. They quoted me $200 in parts plus one hour labor. My back is messed up so not sure when I could try myself. Does that price quote seem reasonable?

Old 09-14-2015, 09:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

If they are including the alignment in that price (which needs to be done afterward) definitely go for it. Even without the alignment, it still seems fair. AB has the drag link and track rod for about $280 for both. I'm sure you could get them cheaper, but that just gives you an idea. Either the shop isn't making much off the parts, or they are using some cheap ones. I work in a national parts store, and we don't have access to steering parts for Discos, or I would have been able to get a steal a few years ago. I suppose you could get some cheap parts from China online or something, but I haven't come across anything yet.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:36 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I agree, I've replaced those parts myself and the parts alone were right around that price. Then you've gotta get under your truck and hope everything comes apart easily. Do it.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:25 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by toofaroffroad
Then you've gotta get under your truck and hope everything comes apart easily. Do it.
There is that. I changed my drag link in my driveway at night with poor lighting one winter when it was 15 degrees out and I was running a 105 degree fever. Not a fun time at all.

Last edited by lordmorpheus; 09-15-2015 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:52 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

I sell both rods for $115/shipped for forum members. So $200 installed at one hour labor is reasonable considering they will use air tools and it will probably take them longer to balance your D2 on the lift than to do the actual work itself, but I doubt they are including an alignment at that price.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:20 PM
Mudding

I looked at estimate again, thinking it might only be drag link. I think that makes more sense! How hard to do it yourself? I am a mediocre mechanic at best

Old 09-15-2015, 02:47 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

It is one of the easier jobs to do on your own. It is only 2 nuts holding on the track rod. Remove the old one, line it up side by side with the new one, adjust your new one as close as you can get it in length with the old one, tighten down the clamps/bolts and re-install.

For the drag link - same idea with the 2 nuts, but also have to remove 1 bolt from the steering damper on the bracket mid-rod. Then again line them up side by side, adjust for length and re-apply just like you did the track rod. It wont be perfect, but it will be enough to get you where you need to be for an alignment.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by WNYErikDiscoII
It is one of the easier jobs to do on your own. It is only 2 nuts holding on the track rod. Remove the old one, line it up side by side with the new one, adjust your new one as close as you can get it in length with the old one, tighten down the clamps/bolts and re-install.

For the drag link - same idea with the 2 nuts, but also have to remove 1 bolt from the steering damper on the bracket mid-rod. Then again line them up side by side, adjust for length and re-apply just like you did the track rod. It wont be perfect, but it will be enough to get you where you need to be for an alignment.

For the most part I agree, but it depends where you live. Sometimes(even on my rust free truck) the rod ends basically seize into the pitman arm and it can be an enormous pain to get them out without a special tool. When you hammer on it too much it can affect the steering box seal(at least in my experience)

Old 09-15-2015, 07:07 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by weepit
I looked at estimate again, thinking it might only be drag link. I think that makes more sense! How hard to do it yourself? I am a mediocre mechanic at best
If it all comes apart OK it's relatively easy to do the drag and track control links. The hardest part is cracking the taper of the existing apart. Fitting the new links is easy. You can get away without track alignment if you are careful and do the drag link first and measure the exact crs of the bolt spigots. The track control is easy to match for length on a bench against the existing. It really depends how bad your back is at present as it's easiest to place the front on axle stands without the front wheels to do the job.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:11 PM
Mudding

Thanks all. I'm leaning towards paying the man because of my back. I'm in the northeast and I'd be shocked if it came off easy! Getting old sucks, for cars and people...

Quick Reply: Steering question