Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering wheel control interface for Radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering wheel control interface for Radio

Anyone use a PAC SWI-RC steering wheel interface to control the volume on a aftermarket deck? It would be nice to retain the factory controls for volume and mode

iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

these are the instruction for a 2004 d2 and it looks pretty easy but I can't find the grey/red wire in #3 of the instructions.

Thanks
mark

Old 01-11-2012, 07:09 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought a PAC SWI-JACK to use but realized that the headunit is too old to work with it. my newer unit has it built in so I didn't need the PAC unit after all. The gray/red wire should be located directly on the wiring harness that plugs into the factory radio. If you are using a Metra wiring harness to go from the aftermarket unit to the factory harness it will be one of the wires that is not included on the Metra side, you will have to tap into it on the factory wiring side. I unfortunately do not have a picture so I hope this makes sense. Just take a look at the plugs that were plugged into the factory stereo, from my recollection it's the only one that is gray with a red stripe.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Mudding

I also have a swi-jack. It works fine with my alpine 9883, for volume, selecting source, and ff/rw.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:03 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a clarion and bought one and the company told me it was compatible for my 03 and Clarion VRX785BT. When it arrived I tried and tried and it never worked so when I called back I was now told that they do nt make a bypass for my head unit and would not take the other PAC-SWI back. It seems to be hit and miss.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:07 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the metra aswc in mine with a jvc deck. Works great. I wired it myself and the grey red wire is back there. If I remember right it is mostly grey with a thin red line on two sides. I think the red might have even looked a little orange. But it's back there.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:33 AM
Rock Crawling

Use one on my Alpine deck...just make sure the deck is comparable for steering wheel controls.

If you got the Crutchfield they will set you up with everything you need. No need to call just start a chat on their website and they will send you the links.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

nychaze was it a PAC SWI-RC?

Old 10-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Rock Crawling

I think there is different models that interface with different head units. Mine was an alpine and the SWI-Jack i used was good for Alpine, Clarion, JVC, and Kenwood.

From my crutchfield order:

JVC/Alp/Clari/Ken Steering Wheel Radio Control Interface
127SWIJACK
PAC SWI-JACK

PAC SWI-JACK Steering wheel control interface for Alpine, Clarion, JVC, and Kenwood at Crutchfield.com

Old 01-06-2013, 06:17 PM
1st Gear
Default Steering Wheel Controls

The instructions for the PAC unit are not complete. You have to use the red and gray wire and they left out that the gray and black wire needs to be connected to ground. Then the SWI Jack works great with my Kenwood.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:47 PM
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SWI-RC settings

For reference for anyone searching for info on these. I have a 2003 Discovery and a pioneer stereo. All the SWI programming notes for the discovery say to program the module to version 8 in the instructions. This did not work for mine, I ended up programming it to version 3 after trying several random ones before finding one that actually worked

The following users liked this post:
Joemamma1954 (04-02-2015)

Quick Reply: steering wheel control interface for Radio