Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Remote Radio Control

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 01:38 PM
NWR
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Remote Radio Control

I can normally find answers to any questions somewhere in previous forum threads, but not this time.

I have a 2000 Disco II with the High Line ICE configuration. The steering wheel remote radio controls have been pushed down towards the steering column and over extended. The result is a total loss of manual operation of the radio and loss of sound/volume. The remote controls also will not operate the radio in the extended position. Lifting the remote controls back up does allow for single adjustment of channel and sound, but the sound will not remain unless held in the raised position with tape.

I've disconnected and reconnected the power to see if the ICE would reset to manual control, but it does not.

The connector pin diagram for the back of the radio shows connector C00098 pins 2& 3 are for the remote radio controls input & output. However, the other connector pins are for the battery feed & earth ground, so pulling the connector kills power to the radio.

Is there a way to repair or disconnect the steering wheel remote radio controls and regain manual control of the radio?

Old 12-11-2016, 03:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by NWR
I can normally find answers to any questions somewhere in previous forum threads, but not this time.

I have a 2000 Disco II with the High Line ICE configuration. The steering wheel remote radio controls have been pushed down towards the steering column and over extended. The result is a total loss of manual operation of the radio and loss of sound/volume. The remote controls also will not operate the radio in the extended position. Lifting the remote controls back up does allow for single adjustment of channel and sound, but the sound will not remain unless held in the raised position with tape.

I've disconnected and reconnected the power to see if the ICE would reset to manual control, but it does not.

The connector pin diagram for the back of the radio shows connector C00098 pins 2& 3 are for the remote radio controls input & output. However, the other connector pins are for the battery feed & earth ground, so pulling the connector kills power to the radio.

Is there a way to repair or disconnect the steering wheel remote radio controls and regain manual control of the radio?
There are two screws that hold in your airbag. I can't recall if they are Allen or Phillips or what. They come from the front of the steering wheel. You remove those and the airbag pulls put then you have access to the switches. I'd just disconnect the radio switch. I might have a spare. I'll check.

Be sure the battery is disconnected before you do anything.

The following users liked this post:
NWR (12-12-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 03:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Do you have the D2 Electrical Circuit Diagrams? It shows where you may be able to disable the remote switches. For the Rave DL go here:
land rover service factory manual RAVE download land rover resource, service manual, workshop factory manual, download, rave, vehicles including discovery, series, defender, range rover, freelander, LR3, Handbooks, Catalog, Catalogue, Land Rover Inte
large file warning 590MB
* After extracting the rave.zip file, leave all files in the folder and run the file titled “Welcome.pdf”

The following users liked this post:
NWR (12-12-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 03:55 PM
Camel Trophy

No such luck. Already used my spare. Sorry.

Old 12-11-2016, 04:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
No such luck. Already used my spare. Sorry.
Your good on your advice to disconnect switches in the wheel should still work.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:37 AM
NWR
7th Gear

Charlie_V and number9 thank you for the assistance!
Thanks also for the part check and the Rave file.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:41 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by NWR
Charlie_V and number9 thank you for the assistance!
Thanks also for the part check and the Rave file.
​​​​​​
A pleasure. It never really made sense to me to have a radio control on the steering wheel when I could reach the... Radio... just as easily. But I was born before it was determined that talking while driving is more dangerous than Russian roulette so what do I know.

Old 12-31-2016, 03:04 PM
NWR
7th Gear

As a follow-up, your advice was spot on. A T30 star bit is required for the two screws. Once the airbag is removed, disconnecting the radio control switch will allow the radio to operate in the manual mode again. Thanks!

Old 02-15-2017, 11:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I'm two months late to this post, but I just got my D2 yesterday and have the same problem. I ordered the volume control on eBay for $24 and plan on replacing it once it comes in.

So if you want to have on steering wheel functionality, the piece seems to be relatively cheap on eBay. The search term I used was:

Land-Rover-Discovery-II-2-1999-2004-Steering-Wheel-Audio-Control-Buttons-P18111

Old 02-15-2017, 03:19 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Remote Radio Control