Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering wheel removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 01:09 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default steering wheel removal

Land Rover discovery 2, 2004.
Just purchased my 4th D2. This one has a steering wheel that was pretty shredded up by the previous owners dog.
I actually have a parts D2 with a great looking steering wheel. I guess you can guess where this is going? I'm guessing this might be pain in the *** due to air bag in steering wheel. Anyone a steering wheel transplant?

Old 04-13-2020, 01:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 95 Posts

I did this job - it's quite easy. Should take you like 20 minutes. Disconnect the battery a few minutes before you start since you're working with airbag stuff.

The full instructions are in the RAVE but there's a couple Torx bolts on the back of the wheel that hold the airbag in place - I think it's like 7mm but I forget the actual size. Take those out (I think they're captive, so you don't need to worry about dropping them) and then the airbag will pull forward around the buttons on the wheel. There are two multiplugs - one for the airbag and the other for the steering wheel buttons. Take a picture of how they are clipped in before you unclip and unplug them, since they each kind of wind around. Then there's just one nut in the middle that holds the wheel in place - you can use the steering wheel lock to hold the wheel in place when you unbolt it. After that it pulls right off. Make sure you put the new wheel in at the same angle. RAVE says to discard the old nut and replace it but I didn't bother.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:34 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Hey, thanks for the info. I also found a good video on youtube. One thing I'll ad. The hole where you put the torques into behinds the steering wheel has little tiny plastic folds that seem like they are meant to stop you putting a socket in and only using a torques wrench. I was able to bypass this by taking my pocket knife and simply cracking the little plastic bits off. Once I did that I could easily fit a small socket into the hole.
Aside from that is was a very easy switch. Took about 10 minutes. Thanks.

Old 04-17-2020, 03:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

Fyi. The nut holding the wheel on. Loosen it most of the way then yank on the wheel to unseat it. If you take it all the way off you might get a bloody nose.

The following users liked this post:
Best4x4 (04-17-2020)