Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steve Johnson Cannibal V8 REVIEW--ANOTHER HORRIBLE JOB

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 02:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steve Johnson Cannibal V8 REVIEW--ANOTHER HORRIBLE JOB

Hey all,

A little over a year ago I started to look into replacing my engine with a fresh rebuild. After doing research and suggestions, I choose Steve Johnson. Here is a list of happenings with my motor since:

1. I had talked to Steve and arranged a time for him to build it, gave him payment in full, then he tells me that he doesn't have all the parts in stock, but he'll get on it. This was an additional two month delay (not including build time). Steve said he didn't have a liners in stock and just noticed this. Okay, I'm suspicious . . .

2. After awaiting, my motor was delivered to my Land Rover mechanics, where he did a great install. Forward about two weeks, I noticed some oil leaking from my oil pan. I make a b-line over to my mechanic, he throws it up on the lift and we discover all the oil pan bolts a loose. Talking to Steve, his worker, Donny or Danny I believe, forgot to tighten up the bolts to the spec--WOW! Steve didn't check his work-wow!!! So we tighten them up and say we'll talk about this again if a issue arises....

3. We are now about 9 months in my 1 year/12,000 mile warranty. I got about 9,000 miles on it....guess what....she's leaking oil from the oil pan....and the valve covers! Thanks Steve.

Now here's the better part. I get a quote from my mechanic who put the engine in, Steve will not answer a phone or email from me! He thinks he can just cut off communication and go on with life!

If any of you are considering Cannibal as an option I strong discourage you from doing so! This guy is a SHADY phone salesman, AND they do not deliver a quality product that will last.

I have around $10,000 invested in this build/install, and no confidence in Steve Johnson/Cannibal V8

Old 01-30-2017, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Sorry to hear that. You should count yourself lucky that it's just a oil leaks. Most of the ones we see here at the Forum are spun cam bearings improperly installed oil pumps and misfitted pistons causing catastrophic destruction of the motor

Old 01-30-2017, 02:55 PM
Three Wheeling

Yeah, guess I'm lucky so far...I'm sure all that there is to come from this shady jerks work...

Old 01-30-2017, 03:12 PM
Three Wheeling

After calling about 20 times, leaving messages via phone, facebook and email, the coward finally called back to say none of this is his problem. He says the mechanic should just 'snug' them up and all is good...what a joke.

What was also comical was that he said that if I wanted my motor fixed 'under warranty' I was to pull it, ship it back to him and pay return shipping. That's his warranty 'That's the way this works!' So basically his warranty is NOT worth the paper it is printed on...

Old 01-30-2017, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

That's the standard warranty claim procedure didn't you know.. I'm surprised it's not in the fine print. Fingers crossed oil leaks is the end of it for you

Old 01-30-2017, 05:04 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks Army for the info, did not know that. Guess I should point the finger at me for making some of these mistakes as well.

Pretty sure seeing leaking oil made me blow a fuse, brought back nightmares of the old motor issues.

Moving on...

Old 01-30-2017, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Keep us updated on how the motor fairs as time goes on, it seems there is certainly a trend with Cannibal v8 Resurrection not standing anywhere near behind their product.

My last post was laced with sarcasm lol hopefully you didn't take that as serious.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I will second that Steve is a salesman. He talks a great game, but it's starting to show he can't back it up. I was just about to pull the trigger, and I came across information here.

I did find some information online about several people filing complaints through the state of Oklahoma. I would also contact the BBB, and file a claim. This guy also buys used Rovers from people, and has a habit of not paying them either.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Mstudt
I will second that Steve is a salesman. He talks a great game, but it's starting to show he can't back it up. I was just about to pull the trigger, and I came across information here.

I did find some information online about several people filing complaints through the state of Oklahoma. I would also contact the BBB, and file a claim. This guy also buys used Rovers from people, and has a habit of not paying them either.
sounds like he needs a valid lawsuit against himself and company.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:21 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
sounds like he needs a valid lawsuit against himself and company.

People have looked into it, but he doesn't have a pot to **** in from what I've heard. All you would ever get is a judgement against him.

Quick Reply: Steve Johnson Cannibal V8 REVIEW--ANOTHER HORRIBLE JOB