Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange misfire/no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange misfire/no start

My '00 D2 has been acting strangely recently with a misfire/no start condition. I have recent wires and plugs (in the last year or so) and have at least one new coil pack. However, it misfires, even after having the local shop look at it for 2 days and finding nothing. They claim that the issue was with a poor connection after testings the wires, plugs, etc. However, it is still running rough 1 day after they supposedly checked it.

Here's what happened:
- Car was running fine, but I got a P304 and P1300 codes.
- Took it to my local shop because the misfire was just constant and the shop is just around the corner.
- They checked the wires (with temp replacements), coil packs and plugs. All fine, but misfiring on cyl #1 and #6.
- After 2 days of fiddling they claimed it was a connection problem and told me is was fixed.
- The next day is started running rough again, but not constant misfiring like before. Just a bit rough/hesitant.
- I took it for a test run and the roughness seems to disappear during driving. Most noticeable on idle.
- I stopped for pick up some beer for 10 mins and returned to find the truck wouldn't start at all!! Not even a single firing!
- I tried is 4-5 times, the same. Eventually I decided to give it some gas while cranking and it came back to life. Running a little rough still.
A restart when hot (immediate restart) works fine, but later tests of "leave it for 10 mins and start", give the no firing at all symptom
- I monitored it on a cold start. As the idle RPMs settle: (1) initially it runs fine, (2) when it backs off a little it starts to run rough, (3) a little more is seems to be fine and (4) then when at hot idle RPM its rough again.

Any ideas what to test? The no firing during start is Reproducable after a 10 min wait.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Strange misfire/no start

PM me your tele number and lets walk thru what is going wrong.
Mike

Old 12-19-2008, 08:42 PM
Three Wheeling

Looks like I missed DiscoMike.. Anyone else got ideas???

Old 12-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I would start with a good tune up, Magnecor or Land Rover plug wires ONLY and a set of good spark plugs.
Mis fires are because of bad plug wires which in turn foul the plugs which then cause's a rough idle.
That is where I would start.
Make sure that you are using premium gas.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Three Wheeling

I have either Landrover or OEM plug wires recently. Garage claims that the plugs weren't fouled.I would have thought that plugs/wires won't explain the total lack of starting after 10 mins of cool off??

It's started raining here in California, are there any leaks/humidity issues that would cause this?

I'm using Premium gas all the way (from a variety of stations).

Old 12-19-2008, 09:58 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes bad wires and high humidity could cause the wires to short out and cause a no start when hot.
98% of rough run problems with LR's is do to bad plugs and wires.
99% of no start problems with DII's is a bad crank sensor.
When the crank sensor fails the engine will stall when hot and not restart until cool.
The cam sensor vary rarely goes bad.
A bad fuel pump can not work when hot, like after the truck has been running for a while or when the gas tank is below 1/4.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Mudding

even in a returnless fuel system, there is fuel constantly returning to the tank via reroute. they route the return over the pump so it is unlikely it will ever overheat unless run empty often.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:54 PM
Three Wheeling

Interesting.. Can a crank sensor cause misfires too?

Old 12-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Three Wheeling

How difficult is it to switch the plug wires? They look like they disappear around the back of the engine and so look like a d*#ch to change.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Mudding

the crank sensor picks up on the misfires so it will not cause them. as for the wires, how mechanically inclined are you?

Quick Reply: Strange misfire/no start