Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange shimmy

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 06:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Strange shimmy

So I replaced my pass wheel hub and steering damper and now I have a strange shimmy when I get to 40 mph. It is clearly in the front because I feel it in the steering wheel. Plus I still have 3 amigos. Has anyone had anything like this, any ideas?

Last edited by jdbayer; 07-17-2020 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Check to see if you knocked any wheel weights off rim. Happens quite often, when rim gets drug across caliper or dust shield.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

I never thought of that. Would that cause a distinct right and left pull on the steering wheel? When the wheel bearing went out I was on the highway. So I am wondering if I messed something else up on the drive home. I don’t think it has anything to do with the steering damper, but I didn’t know which is why I included it

Old 07-17-2020, 09:32 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Caliper pins sticking?

Old 07-18-2020, 02:50 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Need some clarification here...is it a shimmy while driving 40 mph...or...a right/left pull while braking or driving?

Shimmy, l'm still going with wheel weight. Since you didn't have it before and now you do.

Right/Left pull while braking, (agree with Dave03) did your caliper pins move freely?

Now, since/if you are getting multiple issues (and both of them after the repair)...l'd certainly stop driving it and reinspect the entire front end for something that you may have inadvertantly assembled wrong or overlooked. Lift the front end back up, install jackstands and get back under there and visually inspect everything on the front axle for movement or obvious signs of wear. Check tie-rods for any up/down movement, draglink too. Grab the wheel, front and back and give it a good shake, then top and bottom...should have absolutely no movement.

Also, when your front hub went out...did it go out "bad enough" to cause the tire/rim to achieve an exaggerated angle, which could possibly bend the caliper mounting bracket or the caliper pins...and in turn...not allow them the caliper to move freely, once applied or afterwards to release.

Have you lubed your steering shaft joints lately?

Again, since you didn't have this issue before...it's either something related to your repair (knocking off wheel weight) or something you missed (bent brake assemble) or both. So, a reinspection is in order.

Good luck.