Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange vibration at lower speeds

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 11:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange vibration at lower speeds

First of all I appreciate any and all info or help on this.

Just 2 days ago, I noticed that my 2000 DiscoveryII with about 155,500 miles on it started pulsating/vibrating when in lower speeds mainly under 40 mph, most noticible when I start accelerating from a dead stop up to about 30 mph or so, then once in a while at slightly higher speeds, and when slowing down under 20 mph. I am not all that familiar with much on this vehicle, as this has been my first major issue since I purchased this truck 10,000 miles ago (other than putting new tires on about 2,000 miles ago). Tonight I got the truck up in the air and greased the universal joints, and drive shafts, and didn't notice any change in noise afterward.

On a seperate note, about a week ago i had a different noise start up, (i don't know how to describe this one other than on a previous car that i had a similar noise and it ended up being an inner & outer wheel bearing), and this noise on my discoveryII only happens when i am going straight or turning right.

Thanks for any input on these two issues that I am currently troubleshooting.

Scott

Old 07-25-2011, 07:45 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Have you had your front drive shaft rebuilt, how many grease fittings are one it, should be 1 for each u-joint and 1 for the slip shaft.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:45 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Have you had your front drive shaft rebuilt, how many grease fittings are one it, should be 1 for each u-joint and 1 for the slip shaft.

I have no history of what happened to my Disco before I purchased it about 10k miles ago, so I have no idea if it has been rebuilt in the past. There was only 1 on the u-joint, and a plug on the front shaft, so i took out the plug last night, popped in a grease fitting, and greased it up... hope that was a wise decision

Old 07-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

first thing you need to do is rebuild your drive shaft not only will it cause a vibration, but when the u-jount goes it with take the transmission case with it. If you do a search on drive shaft you will see how important it is and how costly it can be if not done.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:24 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Then stop driving it "TODAY", it is about to fail and will destroy your tranny at the same time.
Send me your number and I'll walk you thru what to do.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:09 AM
Three Wheeling

Drowssap, thanks, I guess i will be having it rebuilt very soon.

Disco Mike, I sent you a message with my number, I have access to a shop about 15 miles away where i can get it up on a lift and work on it, and then I hear there is a great shop in my town where i can get the shaft rebuilt, still waiting to get the name and number of the place that can do the rebuild.

Thanks guys for the input... i hope this takes care of the problem. Im just wondering how long to expect my truck to be out of commission while the shaft gets rebuilt.

Scott

Old 07-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Baja

1 day

Old 07-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Discovery_Scott
...Thanks guys for the input... i hope this takes care of the problem. Im just wondering how long to expect my truck to be out of commission while the shaft gets rebuilt.

Scott
Since your truck is a 2000, you should be able to lock your transfer case by turning the CDL nipple (on top of the t/c above the front output flange) with a 10mm wrench. That way while the drive shaft is being rebuilt, you can drive the truck without the front drive shaft.

BTW, make sure the shop doing the rebuild is also replacing the centering ball, and ask them to explain to you how to grease it (the centering ball) when you pick it up from them.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Three Wheeling

Dcarr1971,

Thanks, that answers a question I forgot to ask about if it could be driven without the front drive shaft, just to isolate the problem.

I got ahold of the drive line shop and they said turn around time could be same day if dropped off early enough, and providing nothing is broken, the rebuild would run $145-$195, including the centering ball and u-joints. To me, this seems to be a fair price, but for those who have done this before, does this price sound right?

Scott

Old 07-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Baja

well worth it the centering ball can be a PITA. Be sure that you replace the nylon lock nuts that are holding the u-bolts in place, nylock as only to be use one time.

Quick Reply: Strange vibration at lower speeds