Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Struggling To Commit

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 01:57 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Struggling To Commit

Hi;

Hope someone might be able to help put me at ease. I have always wanted a LR and am now in a position to pick out my own vehicle (8 years with a company car/van but no choice in which make!). I need a second vehicle which is very reliable, that will handle some rough Canadian winter weather. My wife likes a "solid, secure feeling" vehicle in poorer weather (her Toyota Matrix makes her uneasy when it gets miserable out).

Anyway, have found a 99 Disc II, appears to be very well kept. Very clean undercarriage and interior. It only has 46000km on it (approx 29000 miles) and has full service history. Obviously hasn't seen alot of use in the last 6 years.

From what I am reading, I am a bit scared of potentially high maintenance costs and all that premium fuel! The fuel I can live with, but should I be concerned about maintenance costs outside of the standard fluid changes, etc? It is at a LR dealer, but no warranty. Aftermarket warranty might be around $3000 Canadian (approx 2400 USD). Asking price is $22900 Cdn (approx $18000 USD).

Should I go for a low mileage used Ford Explorer instead or am I just being paranoid about the costs of operating the Disco? I really do like the LR, but I've got a wife and young family that I like to feed and cloth as well!

Old 03-19-2005, 10:53 PM
Winching
Default RE: Struggling To Commit

Monta,

LR's are Luxury SUV's in the States and Canada. They cost double what A Exploder does. Expect the maintenance costs to be the double or higher.

LR Dealers in the USA are not permitted to sell used vehicles that are not Certified. Not sure about Canada ?

If your on A budget ( like me ) and just need A reliable vehicle that can handle snow, look for A Jap 4x4. If you have some extra dough and like the added features A LR provides then go for it !

Old 03-20-2005, 12:21 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Struggling To Commit

That makes sense, and I'm okay with higher regular maintenance costs, but are the major type components relatively reliable, given that I do the rather expensive scheduled work? Should I expect alot of additional replacement and repair outside of the manufacturer scheduled maintenance program?