Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck again...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 11:36 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stuck again...

So I was out playing around in the 7 inches of snow we got last night and as I'm coming home, I pull into our driveway and veer off to the embankment of the drive and manage to get stuck again for the 4th time in 2 years. The embankment is not that steep.

I decided to get a better understanding of the diff lock on these trucks. To my understanding the front and back don't lock together. As I'm leaning out the window looking at which tires are spinning on the drivers side (can't see the passenger side tires) the front is spinning but not the rear. So I'm having a hard time understanding that these are true 4 wheel drive vehicles. What's the purpose of shifting the TC over to the left in 4 high or low?

I read that they reinstated the diff lock in the 04's because of consumer demand. So when you have it shifted to the left and low, what exactly are the diff locks doing?

Thanks,
A lonely stuck Rover.
2004 Disco II w/trail package.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:40 AM
Rock Crawling

The front and back DO lock together...but you still have open front and rear diffs so L & R can spin while the opposite side stays still. With the CDL engaged you will get 50/50 power front and rear only. You are only guaranteed to have at least one front and at least 1 rear wheel to have power with the CDL installed, not all 4 wheels. Install locker diffs if you want to have all 4 wheels grip when necessary the time thought the TC usually fares well enough most people get by without them. If your amigos are on then you lack TC assistance so that is hurting you a little bit.

In your case, with it engaged, it's entirely possible your front driver and rear passenger wheel is spinning.

Last edited by br0keit; 02-05-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:50 AM
Mudding

No amigos are on. An off button for the TC would be nice. I can shut it off in my 06' Audi which I do just so I can get the back end squirrelly in the snow.

How hard is it to install these other locks you speak of? I'll be crawling underneath it next week to install a new front prop shaft.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:03 PM
Rock Crawling

You need new differentials so it's basically as easy as unbolting both prop shafts, removing all wheel hubs and axles, unbolting the diffs, and replacing with new ones installing the rest in reverse (I hope you see the sarcasm there)....oh and the $1200/each (need 2) price tag for a fully assembled/rebuilt locker diff.

With a fully open drive train, you really don't want to disable your TC as it's the only thing keeping your truck from being 1 wheel drive in slippery conditions (2 with CDL engaged).

Old 02-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

^ that easiest, but you can bolt lockers in without a new diff. gearing is where expert building of new diff. is needed. adjustments and such

Old 02-05-2014, 12:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

If you've never done in depth work, lockers can be tough. I had mine installed in thirds, so that I could zip out the shafts etc. and do the install myself. It's pretty easy if you have them setup first, takes a couple hours to install the new ones depending on your location.

It sounds like you need a decent set of tires to be honest.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:29 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding.......these are AWD not 4WD. Locking the CDL (CENTER diff lock) makes it a 4WD.

4WD= equal power to 1 front and 1 rear wheel.
Not sure exactly how AWD works but I think it alternates power unequally front and rear to whatever wheel has the most traction.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Exactly, you can get lockers for around $500/diff but as dusty said you need to pay someone to properly rebuild it else you'll flush away that money real fast.

Another note regarding your audi. The quattro system has a torsen center diff that auto locks when it needs to distribute power. IMO it's one of the best awd designs in the world. it is also a "sports" car so disabling traction control for the track is understandable. For the snow however, unless you're trying to goof around, being on is the better choice. I'm not being biased either. I had a 2000 A4 which didn't have tv and loved snow drifting...empty parking lots of course .

Old 02-05-2014, 12:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I turn DSTC off in my s60R all the time in the snow, so much more fun! Also if you leave it on and try to accelerate quickly with no traction, it kills your power for some reason.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Mudding

I will probably pass on the lock diffs, sounds expensive and I was only considering it because I get into the deep and get stuck. Although this time, as my neighbor stated who pulled me out with his Chevy Bourbon: "Only an idiot gets stuck in his own driveway."

On the Audi, I usually turn it off just to goof. We're on our 5 Audi and have to say they are a well engineered and well designed (interior as well) pieces of machinery. The 2nd 98' Audi we owned was a A4...that's when I fell in love with them for their Quattro. We've had Audi wagons A6 which seemed not quite as good as the sedan, but I chalked it up to longer wheelbase as far as the performance on the snow.

I'm staying away from 4 wheeling for awhile. Onward and Upward.

Quick Reply: Stuck again...