Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck in a field in 4 inches of mud.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck in a field in 4 inches of mud.

I need some help. I was at a golf event here in Arkansas (LPGA) and the event coordinators used a cow pasture to park all of the vehicles. Well the heavens opened up and there was a massive rain storm. Many cars were attempting to leave the field and of course cow fields and rain create what I call goose poop mud. There were no major ruts but many cars about 100 were stuck locking un stuck cars parked everywhere. I was not to worried about it since I was in my discovery....."WRONG"... as I saw many accords, traillazers, cherokees getting stuck I thought I would put it in low and just creep out of the mess. You know what is coming..well as I was creeping out at about 8mph in low a minivan pulled out in front of me and got stuck. I pressed on the brake lightly and of course I get bogged down. My Wranglers get caked and I am dead in the water in about 4 inches of mud. As I was trying to go side to side my traction control light kept on coming on and slowing the process. All my tires just spun."Question" What can I do about this TC thing. In all my other vehicles I can turn it off. I could not believe it I was in a great offroad vehicle and I was stuck in 4 inches of mud. People started staring and saying wow..I would take a picture and send it to LR....sorry I was not trying to show off at all but my ego took a little hit today..I just can believe I was dead in the water and had to be pulled out via tow truck in 4 inches of mud.[:@]

Thanks for your time

Old 09-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Stuck in a field in 4 inches of mud.

You are dead in the mud. TC won't get you out with your Wranler tires. Hate to say it but you get to wait for the tow truck like all the other owners.
Unfortunately you don't have a locking t/case in your truck or you might have had a chance.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:47 PM
dow
Three Wheeling

I love my transfer case

mmmm... locking differential with manual shifter

:::162,000+ and still rockin':::

speaking of which, Mike, its been a while since I've done any work to the transfer case, aka 10s of thousands of miles, what should I do now?

fluid flush/replacement?

:::no intention of hi-jacking the thread::::

Old 09-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Mudding

Tires. Tires. Tires. Even with the most decked out Rover, you still have to have traction.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

When I used to chase drilling rigs around Wyoming and Montana (used to be a petroleum geologist), I drove a little rear wheel driveToyota Celica. Aroundthe Rockieswe have bentonite mud which sounds EXACTY like what you describe as goose poop mud. Slipperier than Crisco...to the point that standing on a level surface is difficult. I kept a set of tire chains and some coveralls in the trunk and every so often I'd have to chain up to get to/froma rig after a good rain. I kid you not, I passed more than one 4WD pickup over the yearsthat slid off the road into the ditch and I never got stuck. Tire chains work extremely well in mud.

The Land Rover has those great compartments in the cargo area and I keep a set of tire chains, some coveralls and a tow strapin the compartment on the right. Tire chains are indispensible, and when you need 'em,you really need 'em. Cheap insurance at the very least, and the coveralls make sure you don't screw up the seats...just take 'em off and throw 'em in a bag.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 09-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Drifting

What was really sad is my buddy tried to rescue me with his new Jeep Rubicon (factory lockers). Those M/T's he had caked up so fast that he almost got stuck. I felt really bad becausehe must have put 2 years of wear on his clutch in a matter of about 5 minutes. When he got stuck the strap was taught and we could not unstrap the 2 vehicles so I had to break outthe SOG and cut a brand new strap. I think I am going to get some BFG M/T's..it is a shame that I have to pay high dollar for 18's. I am chalking up ny demise to the tires and I do about 95% road driving but it is that 5% of the time that is worth 400$ extra dollars. Fortunately the LPGA event guys paid for the tow!

Cheers,

Chris

Old 09-09-2007, 01:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:"Question" What can I do about this TC thing. In all my other vehicles I can turn it off.
[/quote]

Locking the CDL disables traction control doesn't it ???

Anyways, it must have sucked[:@]especially when you think that the image people have of Land Rovers, is caravans traversing the jungles in 4 FEET of mud.

As previously said, you can have the most sophisticated 4WD on the planet, one thing remains. All that sophistication is applied to the ground via the tires.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:37 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Engaging the CDL does not disable the ABS, T/C or H/D unless you you shut off you truck while still engaged and later restart to do more wheeling, then you have confused the ECU which then shuts off those features. I have found this to be a plus though, ever try to back down an off camber slippery hill with the ABS on, you will not be able to back down the hill without get pulled to the edge of the trail by your brakes.