Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck Ignition key

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 04:28 PM
Mudding
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Stuck Ignition key

My ignition has always been a bit wonky, but now it has stopped allowing me to remove the key at all.
I did the "make sure it's in park" thing.
I can push it in and turn anti-clockwise ... it just does not come out.

Anything I can do before I order a new Key lock cylinder from Lucky8?

This seems like a defective part (shocking for a LR!! /s) but wanted to see if there were other things to look for first!
thanks!

Old 04-24-2021, 05:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

I had the same issue, many Discos have this issue. I got a replacement cylinder with new keys from AB.

The following users liked this post:
cvhyatt (04-24-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 06:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 617 Posts

This happened with my truck along time ago. In the case of my truck. and for many others, the problem was failed or misadjusted XYZ switch.

Don't panic, and don't order a new lock cylinder just yet.

If the BCU cannot "see" that the transmission is in Park by virtue of a circuit closed by the XYZ switch, it won't allow the ignition switch to be turned to allow the key to be removed.

That happened to me the first evening of a week-long vacation 15+ years ago. Luckily, I had another key with me and I was able to lock and unlock the truck, but there was some anxiety being up and down the East Coast and in downtown Boston with the key left in the ignition all week.

So search this forum for "XYZ switch" and head down that path before ordering a new ignition lock cylinder.

XYZ switches are crazy expensive, but they can also be rebuilt and they are readily available on eBay at about 1/6 the price of a new one.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out for you.

Last edited by mln01; 04-24-2021 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:45 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by mln01
This happened with my truck along time ago. In the case of my truck. and for many others, the problem was failed or misadjusted XYZ switch.

Don't panic, and don't order a new lock cylinder just yet.

If the BCU cannot "see" that the transmission is in Park by virtue of a circuit closed by the XYZ switch, it won't allow the ignition switch to be turned to allow the key to be removed.

That happened to me the first evening of a week-long vacation 15+ years ago. Luckily, I had another key with me and I was able to lock and unlock the truck, but there was some anxiety being up and down the East Coast and in downtown Boston with the key left in the ignition all week.

So search this forum for "XYZ switch" and head down that path before ordering a new ignition lock cylinder.

XYZ switches are crazy expensive, but they can also be rebuilt and they are readily available on eBay at about 1/6 the price of a new one.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out for you.
Good thoughts, thank you! I'll have a go.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

If the gear shifter position is correctly displayed in the instrument panel, the switch should be OK.

Old 04-24-2021, 11:47 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Discorama
If the gear shifter position is correctly displayed in the instrument panel, the switch should be OK.
Correct

Old 04-25-2021, 01:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,187 Likes on 849 Posts

If key is in off position. Spray some lube in the ignition switch barrel, tumblers get dry and don't want to slide back into housing to allow key to be removed.

Old 04-25-2021, 10:42 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by swissarmychainsaw
I can push it in and turn anti-clockwise ... it just does not come out.
I may have misunderstood your original post. Are you saying you can turn the key counterclockwise all the way to the "0" position? If so, my post above about the XYZ switch is not relevant, and as mollusk said, a little spray lube may do the trick. Silicone spray lube is preferred, but if WD-40 is all you have try it.

If you can't get the key to turn past position "I", then the XYZ switch is again in play.

Old 04-26-2021, 04:11 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by mln01
I may have misunderstood your original post. Are you saying you can turn the key counterclockwise all the way to the "0" position? If so, my post above about the XYZ switch is not relevant, and as mollusk said, a little spray lube may do the trick. Silicone spray lube is preferred, but if WD-40 is all you have try it.

If you can't get the key to turn past position "I", then the XYZ switch is again in play.
Not sure how many positions there on the they ignition, but I'll assume this:
0 - Push in to remove key
1 - Off
2 - On
3 - Start
They symptoms are this:
* Gear shift indicator shows park and other gears correctly
* Gear Indicator On the Dash by the Odometer shows gear correctly
* Key feels like it turns through the 3 positions as it should "off, on, start"
what it won't do is come out when I push it in and turn it to the "off" position

Here is a video:

Old 04-26-2021, 06:13 PM
Camel Trophy

I've included the page from the Owner's Handbook showing the starter switch positions.

I would label them:
0 - Off
I - Accessories
II - Run
III - Start
Thank you for sharing the video. It looks like you are clearly getting the key back to Position 0.

The video gave me flashbacks to when the key was stuck in the ignition of my truck. My diagnosis is the XYZ switch, regardless of the fact that you say P displays as it should in the instrument panel LCD. Does the red LED next to P also light up on the shifter bezel?

Quick Reply: Stuck Ignition key