Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck in park. No brake lights. Brake switch replaced, fuses checked.Problem persists

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 03:48 PM
8th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stuck in park. No brake lights. Brake switch replaced, fuses checked.Problem persists

Recently my truck stopped shifting out of park. I know how to bypass this under the shifter, but I also realized my brake lights aren’t working. I replaced the brake light switch, and the problem persists. I have checked all corresponding fuses and all appear to be in working order. I also tested the switch itself with a multimeter— it is working.

Is it possible that the solenoid interlocking shifter could be the culprit? would this affect the brake lights? If so, could someone link me to a video or forum on how to replace that?

when I replaced the brake light switch, I turned it clockwise to lock it into place. It is making contact with the pedal, but does not make contact when the brake is depressed. So I believe I have installed this correctly.

there are no lights on the dash, and the display shows “P”, correctly.

When I start the car, depress the brake pedal, and bypass the solenoid under the shifter, the brake lights still do not come on.

I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting my battery as well.

sincerely hoping it’s not an electrical issue, as that is beyond my wheelhouse. But please do make suggestions on how to check my wiring if that is my next necessary step.
any advice welcomed as I am stumped and frustrated and need to get my daily driver back on the road.
Thanks in advance.

Old 02-29-2024, 03:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 772 Likes on 508 Posts

Do the brake lights work if you have the brake switch loose and depressed by hand? Also I believe that you have to pull the plunger all the way out and then the brake pedal will set where it needs to be if that makes sense and if I remember correctly.

Old 02-29-2024, 04:20 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by whowa004
Do the brake lights work if you have the brake switch loose and depressed by hand? Also I believe that you have to pull the plunger all the way out and then the brake pedal will set where it needs to be if that makes sense and if I remember correctly.
Brake lights do not come on with switch loose& when depressed by hand. I have not figured out how to pull out the plunger any further. *edit* It is the new style switch with adapter.

Last edited by Jordansdisco; 02-29-2024 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-29-2024, 04:23 PM
8th Gear

how do I pull the plunger out? God, please let it be this simple of a fix!! Thank you for the response.

Old 02-29-2024, 04:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 772 Likes on 508 Posts

Unfamiliar with an adapter, it's been a few years since I had a brake switch issue. fairly certain you just pull the plunger out by hand....also confirm your bulbs are good. I know it's silly to think all 3 went out at the same time but weirder things have happened. I'm of no help on the stuck in park issue unfortunately.

Old 02-29-2024, 04:29 PM
8th Gear

Unfamiliar with an adapter, it's been a few years since I had a brake switch issue. fairly certain you just pull the plunger out by hand....also confirm your bulbs are good. I know it's silly to think all 3 went out at the same time but weirder things have happened. I'm of no help on the stuck in park issue unfortunately.
yes, I’ve checked all my bulbs and they’re all good as well.

Old 02-29-2024, 07:24 PM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

I was helping someone who had this same thing happening. The shifting problem is because your brake lights aren't coming on. The solenoid doesn't affect the lights -- it's the other way around.
Are you sure that you checked/replaced fuse #25 in the driver's fusebox?

The following users liked this post:
T-rex (03-02-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 07:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

I was going to say 'very dead battery' ... But if starts and other electricals work fine, look at fuses. Or broken connection.

Old 03-01-2024, 03:07 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by mollusc
I was helping someone who had this same thing happening. The shifting problem is because your brake lights aren't coming on. The solenoid doesn't affect the lights -- it's the other way around.
Are you sure that you checked/replaced fuse #25 in the driver's fusebox?
yes, fuse 25 has been checked and is in tact!

Old 03-01-2024, 05:49 PM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

Originally Posted by Jordansdisco
yes, fuse 25 has been checked and is in tact!
How did you check it?
Try replacing it with a different one of the same amperage. Just to be sure.

Quick Reply: Stuck in park. No brake lights. Brake switch replaced, fuses checked.Problem persists