Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suddenly bad radio reception

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 02:52 AM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Suddenly bad radio reception

After the vehicle sitting for about a week I noticed the FM radio has more static and less reception then usual. Almost like the antenna is disconnected. Any ideas where to start?

Old 03-07-2020, 08:50 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Check to see if the antenna came unplugged behind the radio???

Old 03-07-2020, 08:53 AM
Mudding

I after looking around a bit more I’m planning on dropping the trim on the rear right as I was in there a month ago to mount exterior door panel. That’s were the amplifier / window antenna is. I’m wondering if a cable got knocked loose.

Old 03-07-2020, 08:57 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by whiterabbit
Check to see if the antenna came unplugged behind the radio???

Have never been into the radio head so I’m thinking that’s probably not the case. Am I misreading the three ??? as sarcasm?

reason for the question was to see if there was a common age related failure that happens to these vehicles. Such as an antenna soldered joint etc.

Old 03-07-2020, 11:00 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

No common age related issues that i know of... But do check the button connector on the back cargo area passenger side window at the top, right below the amplifier. Some models with the high end sound system have two amplifiers, the FM one being separate on the drivers side rear cargo area window... I don't have that but my window still has the embedded antenna and button, just nothing connected to it. Check both.

I've also had the antenna cable issue in that I have an aftermarket head unit and the antenna cable has more of a bend to it due to depth, I've had loss of signal but most notably on the AM band. Straightening out that cable and reinserting it into the head unit fixed it.

If none of that works check the amplifier itself, it has a ground wire attached near where it is mounted. Make sure that is connected too. You can access the amp by just lifting up that portion of the headliner below the alpine window.

Old 03-07-2020, 05:16 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Dave03S
No common age related issues that i know of... But do check the button connector on the back cargo area passenger side window at the top, right below the amplifier. Some models with the high end sound system have two amplifiers, the FM one being separate on the drivers side rear cargo area window... I don't have that but my window still has the embedded antenna and button, just nothing connected to it. Check both.

I've also had the antenna cable issue in that I have an aftermarket head unit and the antenna cable has more of a bend to it due to depth, I've had loss of signal but most notably on the AM band. Straightening out that cable and reinserting it into the head unit fixed it.

If none of that works check the amplifier itself, it has a ground wire attached near where it is mounted. Make sure that is connected too. You can access the amp by just lifting up that portion of the headliner below the alpine window.

Perfect Dave thanks so much for the detailed info. I’ll check both amp and button sides under the headliner