Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions needed for repairing center console

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 11:25 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
I "clamped" the switch mounting plate in place on the top edge using round-head machine screws and thin metal strips.
I did something similar to this when I installed my CDL shift lever, since I hope that will the last time I have to remove the centre console.
For the strips I used a couple of hose clamps -- this kind you might put around a radiator hose -- that were long enough when opened flat that they extended above and below the edges of the panel by about an inch in each direction.
I cut the fastening mechanism off each one, leaving me with two perforated, slightly springy metal strips. With a small amount of filing along one edge, I was able to get them to fit vertically across the back of the panel on the inside of the window switches, and screwed through them from the front in the positions indicated on my crude drawing:

These flexible strips hold the switch panel firmly in place. I attached the finish plate over the top of the switch plate with some black RTV so it's removable if I really need to get in there for any reason. That way there are no screw heads showing.