Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for Repair on newly acquired vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 05:38 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Suggestions for Repair on newly acquired vehicle

Hey yall,

Was wondering if there were any no-brainer things to check for after getting a Disco II? Currently I have 118k on the odometer and the timing chain, head gasket, valve cover gaskets, and spark plugs were changed by the dealers mechanics.

At the moment, I hear/feel vibration coming from what I can only imagine is the driveshaft. This only happens under acceleration from 20-60 mph, and when downshifting. Can someone confirm this noise?

Other than this, Can you fill me in on what I should look for?

I am new to the forum, and fairly new to working on cars so I apologize in advance if these questions seem trivial and "Doh!".

Taylor

Old 12-09-2015, 05:51 PM
Mudding

I should've added minor chirping sound during easy/moderate accel. Seems to fade out once I give it some throttle, but the noise is not comforting nonetheless. Any ideas?

I saw another post referencing this same issue that I will now go study-up.

Thanks in advance!

Taylor

Old 12-09-2015, 06:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Search up on the front propshaft. Get yourself familiar with what one looks like with grease fittings. Compare a new "fully serviceable" propshaft with grease fittings to yours. If you do not see the fittings, stop driving and replace it immediately.

Chirping is a tell tale sign that the Rover fairy is getting ready to implant an inspection window into the side of your Trans. You don't want the fairy coming around while your cruising down the highway.

Last edited by coors; 12-09-2015 at 06:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
back9sunday (12-09-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 06:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

Back9, just to be absolutely clear, replacing or rebuilding the front drive shaft is not a "when I get around to it pretty soon" matter. (I know you didn't say that.). Especially given the symptoms you report.

This is a STOP DRIVING IT NOW and get a new driveshaft installed pronto matter.

The bad outcome suffered by all too many others is that one end of the drive shaft comes apart completely while the truck is underway and mercilessly beats a hole in the side of your transmission (the inspection port referred to above). It's no laughing matter, and something that would undoubtedly make you wish you had never heard of Land Rover. It's also been the source for many, many junkyard parts trucks that have helped the rest of us keep our Rovers on the road for many, many years.

When I did my driveshaft a few years ago it made more sense economically to buy the parts and have a local driveline shaft do the rebuilding. Today there are good options for fully serviceable from driveshafts at prices that make it more sensible to take another route. It is literally eight nuts that need to be removed and replaced for you to remove your old driveshaft and install a new one. It seems the going price is a little under $300. That beats another $400-$500 plus labor to install a used transmission, after which you would still need to install a new driveshaft.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:45 PM
Mudding

Man, I am glad to hear those responses. Thanks. Certainly don't want to be at speed when the driveline gives.

Do yall have any recommended vendors for the front driveshaft? Would it be just the part or would there be an assembly along with it?

Old 12-09-2015, 10:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Lucky 8 LLC is selling theirs for $198 to Land Rover Forums members. I got mine a few months ago, no problems since.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:29 PM
Mudding

Lucky 8 driveshafts are greaseable/serviceable correct?

Old 12-10-2015, 06:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by back9sunday
Lucky 8 driveshafts are greaseable/serviceable correct?
Yes they are. Mine has 4 grease fittings.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:18 PM
Mudding

I ordered one. $198 seems like a steal compared to other reputable vendors, like RoversNorth and AtlanticBritish. I think RoversNorth was like ~$900 for OEM and ~$500 for a 'Proline'.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:38 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

x2 on the Lucky8 sourced drive shaft. good equipment and good guys- even if they are suspiciously close to Canada. the list of "must do's" is a sticky on the D2 main page, I think it's titled 'major service'. Have a read, do the maintenance- that stuff is just the bare-bones basics for making sure your truck is gonna run. I know mine has been kind enough to give me many other issues to fix/repair in addition to the 90k service. tons of really helpful folks here, welcome!

Quick Reply: Suggestions for Repair on newly acquired vehicle