Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Leak *new one* - trim-to-paint seal leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 09:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I'll be shopping for a ****** npt fitting. Hopefully I can thread whats left of my plastic tray to fit a threaded ****** nipple without cracking what's left of the plastic sump. First, I plan to remove both sunroofs to seal the outer flanges with some good sealer. Hopefully I'll only need to buy one nipple.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:52 AM
Three Wheeling

Does anyone know the material type of the plastic sump? I see people use JBWeld or Devcon plastic welder to repair. I'm wondering if the part can be solvent welded with PVC solvent as used in plumbing?

Old 06-15-2014, 05:04 AM
Three Wheeling

I went with a double ****** nipple 3/8" barb x 3/8" barb nylon. Filed off the barbs on one end and inserted it into the hole where the original nipple broke off and used JB Weld epoxy to hold it in place. I hope the JB weld will hold the nylon to the tray. I did a test sample of the JB weld on the plastic packaging the ****** nipple came from the store.
I put a dab of teh mix to join the top and bottom half of the plastic package and left overnight. In teh morning, I was able to easily pull the two pieces of plastic apart. I probably should have used the Devcon plastic weld.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:22 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i have done all of this just as many disco2 owners have. i have a copy of the previously mentioned LRM magazine with the sunroof repair write up on google drive. send me your email address and i will gladly share it with you.

the whole thing is a pain in the ***. a little tip.. do not forget to put the little felt squares back.. they prevent the sunroof assembly from rattling up against the drip pans.. i hate myself for forgetting them.

The following users liked this post:
Vanleiv (05-08-2022)
Old 06-15-2014, 07:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Many people are correct when choosing products like JB weld to fix things.

The problem with this is their procedure is wrong.

JB Weld has great adhesion properties and also its strength is amazing.

With that said, instead of trying to bond a nipple back onto where it broke off of, make a new nipple with JB. Place a straw into the hole, and put your JB around the straw, overlapping it onto the part the nipple broke away from.

You can use aluminum foil and clear tape to help form and keep the JB in place.

When done, get yourself a Dremel and form your new nipple.

For added strength drill small holes into the area your bonding with and push the JB into these holes.

I have a couple sunroofs in storage that I kept just in case I broke a nipple.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:43 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought 2 of these from Napa.

Plastic Single ****** Tube Fittings | MSCDirect.com

1)I cut them in half with my dremel.
2)drilled out the hole on the tray so they would fit snug when inserted.
3)used the automotive superglue and wedged them in and let them dry.
4)then went crazy with silicone over everything.

Works like a charm. I wouldn't use any other fitting than these. Mine were so snug when I shoved them in the tray as a test fit before glue. Just out of curiosity I went on and covered the nipple with my finger and added water....not a drop.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:51 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

To answer the original post though mine was also leaking from there as well, but like super sport I didn't go light on the black silicone. Before dropping the sunroof bracket back in I used almost an entire tube of silicone on it. When I screwed the tray back on from the bottom I had silicone squeezing out everywhere. Two days later it started raining for the entire next week, close to 5inches but the rover was dry inside for the first time since I've owned it.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:49 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Worth a read............Land Rover Monthly - April 2014, pages 182-186, Discovery 2 "Sunroof Leak Fix" which is a step by step article by a professional on how to fix the D2 sunroof leaks. This guy does this every day for a living...........

Halfords | Halfords Assorted Hose Connectors HLB104

Halfords | Halfords Hose Connector Straight 6mm HFX234

These are good for replacing the drain sump broken spigots. Maybe you can similar in the US.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:53 PM
Three Wheeling

Here is a pic of my fix. The nipple extends into the sump so water will have to collect until it is the thickness of the wall of the new nipple. The straw method sounds better for letting the water drain since it is thinner.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by acamato
I used a 3/8" plastic b_a_r_b_e_d tee. Cut off one of the braches, drilled out the hole in the drip pan for the fitting to side into and glued it in place with Devcon Plastic Welder.

There is an article in the May 14 issue of Land Rover Monthly that cover removing the headliner, repairing the drain line and resealing the sunroof the the body.
I emailed the shop that did the work in the article. HEre is their response about the products used:
The sealant we use is WURTH Bond and Seal and their part number is 0890 100 3. The plastic repair is a Kent product called Advanced Plastic Repair APR5 and is part no 85101 34 which is a refill as it comes as part of a kit which includes a syringe to inject and mix the 2 chemicals.
The part numbers for the sunroof seal is EEQ 500010 for both front and back

Quick Reply: Sunroof Leak *new one* - trim-to-paint seal leak?