Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sunroof part the the drain tube connects to?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sunroof part the the drain tube connects to?

I have a 2000 Disco II I had a water leak and removed the headliner. The front sunroof drain tube where it connects to a black plastic box on the underside of the sunroof was broke off and a repaired it and is no longer leaking. but now i see the two small black plastic box shaped thing where the drain tubes connect to the under side of the sunroof our leaking where they silicone them in. there are two drain tubes on each sunroof each drain tube connects to the black box shaped things with black silicone around each one. what is the name of the box shaped thing where the drain tubes connect ??? they are leaking where the factory silicone around them. I'm trying to figure out if I can remove them and re-silicone them? our what I should do to stop them from leaking.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Mudding

No one seems to know what its called our how to fix it so i'm going to try removing the loss silicone, sanding, the re-silicone it. I looked all through the rave manual and still could not find the name of that part our if it comes out to be able and reseal it better.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by aftermath431
No one seems to know what its called our how to fix it so i'm going to try removing the loss silicone, sanding, the re-silicone it. I looked all through the rave manual and still could not find the name of that part our if it comes out to be able and reseal it better.
Call it whatever you want to, take it out and re-seal it with silicone...just like everyone else has that has ever messed with these...

Old 10-02-2013, 05:30 AM
Mudding

Just like everyone else.. you're the only one that even replied. I got your post a little late. I didn't want to pull on it since I can't find information on it anywhere so I removed as much of the old silicone as I could then silicone around each one. I really hope they hold up and don't leak since I just re-done my headliner.

Old 04-10-2020, 06:16 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky sunroof

Originally Posted by aftermath431
Just like everyone else.. you're the only one that even replied. I got your post a little late. I didn't want to pull on it since I can't find information on it anywhere so I removed as much of the old silicone as I could then silicone around each one. I really hope they hold up and don't leak since I just re-done my headliner.

i have the same issue. The common problem seems to be where the plastic drain is bedded into the sunroof metal frame. There seems to be two things that fail. The plastic drain may crack. Or the bedding material can dry out and fail. The only good way to fix this seems to be to remove the metal tray and rebed the plastic piece. To remove the frame you need to drop the front of the headliner. This takes 4 steps. Remove the sun visors. 3 screws each. Easy. Remove the plastic tray. Several Phillips head screws should be obvious. Once it’s loose, there are 3 connectors that remove by pressing a tab. Easy. Remove the two handles. 7mm. Easy. Then remove the trim piece around the sunroof. Easy. Now you can drop the front of the headliner. Now examine the sunroof drains when it rains to see if that’s where the leak is. I haven’t sealed mine yet. I’m trying to figure out the best bedding material. Some have used silicone. Some used black rtv. One suggested 3m adhesive. The trick is binding polypropylene plastic to metal. I’m still working on this. I think the silicone binds to metal ok but doesn’t stick to polypropylene plastic as well. But I’m still researching it. Not a very good design (obviously). It should have just been a solid piece of metal. For those who have used silicone, has the repair lasted?

Old 04-10-2020, 04:37 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Some one on here had a link to a company that was 3D printing that whole plastic part, which might be a plan b

The following users liked this post:
Lillyrosebud01 (08-28-2024)
Old 04-10-2020, 05:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

7 year old thread

Old 04-12-2020, 08:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by TimInNova:
Lillyrosebud01 (08-28-2024), Wheelspin (04-12-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 10:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 440 Likes on 300 Posts

Nice!

I still think the whole pan is garbage design with so many holes, should have been a cheese grater....

Old 04-13-2020, 10:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

Also check this out for a more complete and heavy-duty solution.
I plan on doing my this summer using this kit: https://www.steveparkers.com/product...be-repair-kit/

The following users liked this post:
Jason_B (04-13-2020)

Quick Reply: sunroof part the the drain tube connects to?