Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof reseal tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 10:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Sunroof reseal tips

I though I would post a couple pics and some advise on this job. I didn't want to disturb the sunroof drains, they weren't leaking, so I used duct tape to hold the lower inside panel "loosely" in place while I had the sunroof out of the hole. You just remove the bolts and the motor, then remove the entire assembly out from above, clean the old gasket material off, I used ProFlex RV "non" silicone based sealant. Takes a few days to completely set up. I posted this because I couldn't find any info on removing the sunroof without disturbing the drains....Well you can do it!

The following users liked this post:
akapeller (12-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2017, 10:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Nice job but I used the high temp rtv due to the heat on the roof that way it doesn't crack like the other ones

Old 01-30-2017, 11:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Here's the product I used, I didn't want to use a silicone based sealant. Hopefully it seals!! lol

All RV Aftermarket Products : Pro Flex RV Flexible Sealant

Last edited by Motorhead1; 01-30-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Why did you undertake this if the drains werent leaking?

Old 01-30-2017, 12:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The sunroof base gasket was leaking

Old 01-30-2017, 01:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

How can you tell the difference between the two?

Old 01-30-2017, 01:41 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

The worst offender is often the seal between the D2 roof and the sunroof (the exterior perimeter seal, usually black rubber) followed by 2x blocked drains per sunroof. It is rare the inside seal leaks unless it's perished or damaged.

High temperature silicon mastic is good, I used similar mastic but it was marine type also.

I also used this insulation between the inside roof and the headliner but be careful of any bare wiring connectors.

http://www.bricodepot.fr/saintes-sai...eur/prod44781/

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 01-30-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:19 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
The worst offender is often the seal between the D2 roof and the sunroof (the exterior perimeter seal, usually black rubber) followed by 2x blocked drains per sunroof. It is rare the inside seal leaks unless it's perished or damaged.

High temperature silicon mastic is good, I used similar mastic but it was marine type also.

I also used this insulation between the inside roof and the headliner but be careful of any bare wiring connectors.

ISOLANT MINCE RÉFLECTIF 20 COMPOSANTS AVEC PARE-VAPEUR / Magasin de Bricolage Brico Dépôt de SAINTES - SAINT GEORGES DES COTEAUX
you kill me man with the French website. I only speak English and German. But I know what you mean. That is good stuff. A lot of home manufacturers are using that stuff now in the attics to help reflect heat and better insulate homes. It also helps in vehicles to deaden sound

Old 01-30-2017, 02:26 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Mskembo
How can you tell the difference between the two?
You have to remove the headlining but it is usually both. They put a metal catch pan with plastic drain tube mounts. I just recently redid mine and epoxied the crap out of the plastic tube mounts and then blew the air lines out to be on the safe side. The rear sun roof runs to the rear and exits behind the tail lamps and the front by the a pillars. The gasket is usually gone anyways if you have any type of leaking sunroof. The best bet is to remove it, clean it real well and then use some type of high temp rtv or something similar to seal it to the roof since it takes most of the heat. Then leave your headliner down for a day or two and do a water test to make sure it's completely sealed. There is a good write up somewhere on it and a U.K. Company even does it that way and they also reccomend making a nice bead around the entire sunroof to roof mount and smoothing it out to make a great seal. I did all of that and plan on getting to roof linex'd so I never have to worry about a leaking sunroof, just the gasket between the glass and the opening and closing mechanism.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

use some type of high temp rtv or something similar to seal it
Majority of people will continue to use RTV for most sealing jobs because it's readily available, easy use, inexpensive and marketed so well. It's a jack-of-all sealants and not particularly good or best for most applications. Been there, done that and long ago expanded my locker to better sealants.

Quick Reply: Sunroof reseal tips