Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroofs only tilt but won't slide open

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 02:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Sunroofs only tilt but won't slide open

Since I have owned my 04 the sunroofs have never worked. I recently removed the headliner to find some leaks and decided to investigate. The sunroof ECU was actually missing so I bought a replacement. The motors were both turning on but both sunroof would not open at all. I realized they were sealed shut so I used a thin putty knife to break the sealant. They now will both tilt open but neither will slide open. I tried pushing the buttons twice and also holding them down but no luck. Any ideas?

Old 05-26-2023, 06:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,040 Posts

Remove the motors, rehome them by pushing the open and close button. Reinstall and try them

Old 05-26-2023, 08:58 PM
Mudding
Received 100 Likes on 59 Posts

Mine do the same thing, I've tried the reset, didn't help. Took one of them apart and found the lil metal guide/slide pins bent, but not broken yet. Did some research and saw that this one of a few common failures, another being the long plastic rails breaking, or the spring/gear that the motor drives, separating from it's anchor at the other end. There was one guy years ago that said he had made replacement parts, but he disappeared before any were ever produced. I keep thinking in today's world of scanners and 3D printing, somebody will hopefully make replacement parts soon, fingers crossed.

Or, just for fun, it'd be kinda cool to put a nice big panorama moonroof in the rear...there's lots of room for one up there

Old 05-30-2023, 01:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
Remove the motors, rehome them by pushing the open and close button. Reinstall and try them

Originally Posted by Mntnceguy
Mine do the same thing, I've tried the reset, didn't help. Took one of them apart and found the lil metal guide/slide pins bent, but not broken yet. Did some research and saw that this one of a few common failures, another being the long plastic rails breaking, or the spring/gear that the motor drives, separating from it's anchor at the other end. There was one guy years ago that said he had made replacement parts, but he disappeared before any were ever produced. I keep thinking in today's world of scanners and 3D printing, somebody will hopefully make replacement parts soon, fingers crossed.

Or, just for fun, it'd be kinda cool to put a nice big panorama moonroof in the rear...there's lots of room for one up there
I tried pulling the motors over the weekend and the sunroofs tilt but still won't open. I did find the front motor was missing one of it's mounting screws.

It has been sitting for a few weeks while I work on the headliner and roof leaks. The battery was getting low so I charged it overnight and now both sunroofs function properly. It looks like it was just a low voltage issue. Now onto fixing the leaks.