Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Gaz Suspension Installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Gaz Suspension Installed

Installed the Super Gaz 1 5/8" lift kit from AB yesterday. Very easy install. Components appear to be significantly more substantial than the factory parts. We installed this at my buddies house and after the ~100 mile drive home I am impressed with the kit. The ride and handling are significantly improved over the factory suspension. Vehicle is very responsive now without being harsh at all and body roll through corners is much less than stock. I know a lot of you knock this kit and say it is low quality but we didn't get that feeling at all. Time will tell on the durability of these components but I have no reason to believe there will be problems.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Good to hear.
How much was the kit and what all came with it?
How long did it take you guys to install?
Were the directions easy to follow?

Old 02-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Three Wheeling

The kit is currently on sale for $499.00 and I had a coupon that covered the tax and shipping. It took three people about 3 hours to complete the job and that includes a lot of joking around and a beer or three. The kit included front and rear shocks and springs, but no instructions. Do you really need instructions for this????? We have done quite a few Jeep suspension installs and this isn't much different.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

here's a question for you, how long would you think it would take 1 person to do who has never done suspension? keep in mind I am very mechanically inclined and have no fear of taking on a job like this as long as it can be done within 1 day.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I dont think you really need instructions but someone else might.
3 hours is not bad at all, one guy can do it in a day.
And $500 is a good price.

Did you go with the heavy duty kit, medium, what?

Old 02-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Three Wheeling

They only offer one kit for the DII, heavy duty. One guy could easily do it in a day, there is nothing involved that requires two people to accomplish. I would recommend having a floor jack as well as the bottle jack. We started out using sprint compressors but very quickly realized that with the proper jacking technique they weren't needed.

For $500 shipped to my door the OME would have to come with a happy ending to justify the extra $$ assuming this kit holds up long term.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

let us know how it holds up i don't know many people on this forum that are running the Gaz kit from AB but i know people have asked about it. the safe more expensive bet has always been the OME kit from Lucky8.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rover Chris
here's a question for you, how long would you think it would take 1 person to do who has never done suspension? keep in mind I am very mechanically inclined and have no fear of taking on a job like this as long as it can be done within 1 day.
I did my spring/shock insall my self in about 5hrs, without any beer breaks. I had this good write-up as my guide, and it went smooth.
http://www.4x4wire.com/rover/disco/tech/ome/

Old 03-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

DAVIDG...looks good ! let us know how things go with it.

Rover Chris......I too did my own suspension last summer, for time reasons...I did the rear one week and the frt the next week. Other than the good advice you've already rec'd....I would add that sometimes the unexpected can slow you up a bit.......for instance ...I broke a rear shock mount stud and had to re-engineer that so as to get to work the next am. the alternative was to order a new shock mount and wait, also..on the front... 4 out of 8 studs broke off on the front spring shock tower retaining rings....so I needed those too. PB Blaster everything a week before and you'll have a fighting chance.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Drifting
Default Soooo.... is there a new update on the susp lift?

Kenk,

I am curious as to how your suspension has held up? I too am looking at the Super-Gaz as the price is great. (Limited budget). I don't go too crazy with the off-roading as this is also my daily driver, so this may be a good fit for what I need. (I am adding a Bottorf front bumper and am thinking of utilizing the Super-Gaz for the clearance and to support the extra weight.) Also, what size tires are you using?

TIA

Jonsocal

Quick Reply: Super Gaz Suspension Installed