Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger and turbocharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 06:25 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger and turbocharger

Hi, does anyone know if you can add a supercharger to a discovery 2 2003 td5 diesel that has a turbocharger on it? Thanks very much.

Old 02-24-2023, 06:40 AM
Mudding
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

Anything is possible, but why and are You ready for the cost?
​​​​​​
Just put a bigger turbo and ic on it.
Loose the egr and center muffler..

Old 02-24-2023, 07:08 AM
Overlanding

I’m trying to get more power from it but also trying to keep it road legal.

Old 02-24-2023, 07:35 AM
Mudding
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieDisco2
I’m trying to get more power from it but also trying to keep it road legal.
Alive tuning have already got 300+ hp with 600+ Nm from a TD5, with turbo, no supercharger, isn't that enough?

Can't say anything about it being legal or not where ever You are located.

Contact alive tuning and they will help You out.

I am in no affiliate with them, and not even their customer, I have a TD5Inside map on my TD5.

Old 02-24-2023, 08:20 AM
Overlanding

Thanks for the recommendation, how would I get more horsepower generally that isn’t too intrusive? Thanks

Old 02-24-2023, 12:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the recommendation, how would I get more horsepower generally that isn’t too intrusive? Thanks
"Intrusive" is relative, unfortunately. Adding any power requires modifications and the more power you want, the more intrusive you have to get. You can start by helping it breathe more freely with a high-flow air filter. Make sure it gets cool air from outside the engine bay. Delete the muffler if you can pass local noise regulations, if not, get one that flows more freely. Delete the EGR system if it'll pass a local inspection without it. Delete the engine-driven fan and install an electric fan setup. Try to find bigger injectors and get a tuner to set them up. Upgrade the turbo, intercooler and hot/cold pipes (the larger volume of the intercooler and pipes will create more turbo lag but more power when it does get spooled). Upgrade your exhaust system to a larger size. Engines are air pumps. More air in = more air out.

The ZF4HP22 can handle up to 295 lb-ft of torque and the ZF4HP24 can handle up to 331 lb-ft of torque. That will be your max power target before you have to upgrade all kinds of driveline things. If you have a manual transmission, check the max torque for it. I know the autos because I looked it up before starting my LS swap.

Adding a supercharger on top of a turbo is complex and expensive. This engine / driveline setup isn't a good candidate for it. Adding power = intrusive, labor intensive & expensive.

Last edited by L33DiscoII; 02-24-2023 at 12:39 PM. Reason: weird HTML code got in my post.
Old 02-24-2023, 12:59 PM
Overlanding

Thanks, that is very helpful.

Old 02-24-2023, 01:10 PM
Overlanding

Does anyone know how to get thick brake dust build up off of wheel rims? I have spent about 3 hours trying to scrub them with car shampoo and a scrub. I tried the pressure washer but that didn’t do anything. It’s a really slow process and the the bits near the back don’t seem to come off. Any idea what would help to get it off? Thanks.

Old 02-24-2023, 01:14 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anyone know how to get thick brake dust build up off of wheel rims? I have spent about 3 hours trying to scrub them with car shampoo and a scrub. I tried the pressure washer but that didn’t do anything. It’s a really slow process and the the bits near the back don’t seem to come off. Any idea what would help to get it off? Thanks.
This probably should be a new thread. That said, the parts stores have all kinds of cleaners for this purpose. Check out what's available where you live.

Old 02-24-2023, 01:30 PM
Overlanding

For some reason it won’t let me start a new thread, but thanks

Quick Reply: Supercharger and turbocharger