Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Survey on "DEAD" Disco's

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010 | 12:22 AM
TReK

2000 DII with 115k on the clock.
Running great. I keep up with maint. regularly and my biggest repair came in the first month of ownership. Since then the only thing I've paid to do is change the oil, a couple fuses, and lots of fun stuff! (Roof rack, ladder, A-bar)

Most people with the mega problems didn't do enough research up front when looking for their Disco. You can't blindly buy one of these things like a Toyota. Sure they look good in the lot, but a supermodel with std's looks fine on the surface too.....

Old 08-15-2010 | 12:43 AM
Winching

Between this thread and the "Is it worth it" thread posted a few days ago -- I honestly don't know why some of you own these vehicles. You have to appreciate the intricacies the Land Rover badge entails. Scheduled maintenance goes a LONG way. Between that and driving habits these trucks are solid. If you rag an engine already prone to certain failures what do you expect? I am on my second rover -- and maybe I have been blessed -- but I have had very few problems. I take care of it, and it takes care of me!

Old 08-15-2010 | 12:49 AM
|
Baja

Originally Posted by Camdisco24
2000 DII with 115k on the clock.
Running great. I keep up with maint. regularly and my biggest repair came in the first month of ownership. Since then the only thing I've paid to do is change the oil, a couple fuses, and lots of fun stuff! (Roof rack, ladder, A-bar)

Most people with the mega problems didn't do enough research up front when looking for their Disco. You can't blindly buy one of these things like a Toyota. Sure they look good in the lot, but a supermodel with std's looks fine on the surface too.....

I agree with that, they can look pretty from a distance on the lot, but if don't get up close and personal with her prior to purchase, they can turn out to be nasty, money hungry ho's in a hurry. I can't complain about my 97 DI with 112K on it. I did not spend a lot of time looking & researching, wasn't even looking for a Rover, was really looking at older Benz's.

After some basic maintenance and fixing the CDL linkage, mine is doing well. Really want another one as close to my DI as possible for my wife's next vehicle. But those big old Benz's still interest me. Saw a 1982 380 SEL that was once a foreign diplomats car. They want $4,000 for it. Very interesting car. My Benz was a 1986 420SEL that was rock solid.

Old 08-15-2010 | 07:03 AM
Banned

1. Assume the worst when buying a used Disco - there is a reason why the owner is selling it.
2. Buy a dead Disco for cheap and fix it up. You are going to be rebuilding the engine sooner or later, why not start with a dead engine and go from there?
Just my 2c...

Old 08-15-2010 | 07:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Ditto

Originally Posted by Bundu
1. Assume the worst when buying a used Disco - there is a reason why the owner is selling it.
2. Buy a dead Disco for cheap and fix it up. You are going to be rebuilding the engine sooner or later, why not start with a dead engine and go from there?
Just my 2c...

Ditto that....cannon foders they are....If you think you are getting a good deal....you are...on a fixer upper....

Old 08-15-2010 | 08:23 PM
Mudding

Bought Angus about a year and a half ago with 114000, now has 138000 did all the basic catch up maintenance, he was taken care of in his previous family, I am having little trouble getting the rotors off as they are really rusted on, but I am sure I will get them. replaced the rear ujoints and rotoflex a week ago, Angus was smooth as could be for two days, then got a hrrible vibration at 65 under throttle. I had a tom woods front shaft on last year, I was really at the point to give up if it was bad after a year.

Did you know that when you reinstall your rear drive shaft you should tighten all SIX bolts on the roroflex!!!!???? Yep, that's right, I am a dumas I forgot to tighten the three that hold it to the rearend and they were all loose and one bolt had lost the washer and nut. I was happy it was so simple and Angus is back to smooth on the road.. at least up to 85. But, some days you should just stay in bed.....

Anyhow, I am still in love and would not get rid of Angus, but I was one of the fortunate ones who got a Disco II that was taken care of all its life.

Old 08-15-2010 | 08:37 PM
|
Baja
Default Thanks guys

Thanks to all who have responded. I had seen what seemed like a lot of new threads from new owners who all bummed or freaked out that the Disco they just bought has developed multipole problems and they were all pissed off over what it was going to cost to have it fixed.

So far, most all of you have had overall good experiences with yours. I too am enjoying mine and aam glad I have been able to resolve the few issues I have encountered on my own with input from this and a few other on-line resources, the RAVE CD and the helpful staff at Rover's North.

I plan on keeping mine going for several more years and getting another one or two as well.

Anyone out there experiencing one they want to bail out on?

Old 08-15-2010 | 08:40 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Anyone out there experiencing one they want to bail out on?

Vandev?

Old 08-15-2010 | 08:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default sure always....

Mine are always for sale..... When i am done with my 04 DII engine rebuild, it's for sale.... $14,999.00 with 0 miles ....

I will make a list of all the other items i am also rebuilding...

oh, ceramic coated headers.....

Attached Thumbnails Survey on "DEAD" Disco's-engine-bay.jpg   Survey on "DEAD" Disco's-block2.jpg  

Last edited by vandev; 08-15-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-15-2010 | 09:14 PM
Rock Crawling

Mines obviously "Down" Although Im not a new owner. And myself and the previous owners who I know personally meticulously maintained it. However Ive had in the past year and a half, Transfer Case, Headlight switches (going out again), Head Gaskets of course, And Finally the Oil Pump Manufacture Defect.

I always knew it was coming in the back of my mind, but kept it back lol!

Quick Reply: Survey on "DEAD" Disco's